New XP install: What first? Avira Free or Windows Updates?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Which should I do first? Download and install Avira Free or do Windows Updates?

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Whenever I do a fresh build I do it in these steps:

chipset/video/lan/audi drivers
windows update
antivirus
programs

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
yes that's exactly what i do as well, thanks.

i've never found it to really matter which order the drivers go though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

windows update
antivirus
programs
I just saw this. I installed AV first, then XP SP3. Have yet to do other updates. Am Ghosting as I go, and it's already saved my ass a few times. A few programs. I guess I've done it ass backwards somewhat. The video's working, at least I have my res at 1280 x 1024, so I didn't give it a thought, but I should install my preferred Nvidia driver. The audio's yet to come. It's crazy, because yesterday (before blitzing my old XP install) I uninstalled my audio driver and tried to install one of the audio drivers that used to work fine and it would not work. :\ I think I'll try installing an older one now because I've been having horrible problems with lockups and I think the audio driver is at fault. LAN, I haven't really messed with yet, but I have internet. I'll get the network working. Chipset, I'll have to deal with that. I have a lot of files around...

I finally got dual boot working again. Fortunately, I had some backup files around and I tried pasting one that I thought was probably exactly what I want for boot.ini, and it works!!!! I was afraid I'd have to reinstall XP on my other partition. :twisted:

Last edited:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

windows update
antivirus
programs

Same here but to be specific..

I download the latest drivers and any service packs I need before I start and those get installed before I actually connect a network cable.

-KeithP

vcsx

Jun 1, 2010
I only connect the network cable once I have the drivers installed and I'm ready for the windows updates. My firewall is always on, though.

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
I've seen where some programs require a new install after SP3 so I would do the Service Packs first and then AV.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
do both. Put the avira install on a thumb drive, and update asap. Nothing is stopping you from doing them at the same time.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Seems sensible to do windows updates first (though that means relying on the router's firewall while doing it).

Lord, those updates take such a long time though! I mean, first it has to update the updater for the updater then update the updater _then_ do the updates!

vcsx

Jun 1, 2010
Have the most uptaded Service Pack saved to your HD. You can get the file from Microsoft. It's called "offline" update, I think.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
When I reinstall XP on a computer, I download all the updates, drivers, and SP3 and slipstream them into the disc with nLite. They'll all get installed automatically, and windows update might only run a minute or so grabbing any update that was missed.

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html

That's the update pack I use. It hasn't been updated in a while, but you can fill in most of the rest from the forums.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
1. drivers I have on CD or USB.
2. windows update.
3. anti-virus and malware.
4. disc apps.
5. any leftover apps I need to dig up online.

Shit like this makes me wish I had made one of those custom XP discs. I hate having to go through such processes every time.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
1. Install Anti-Vir
2. Install Firefox +addons
3. Get latest drivers
4. Programs.
5. Windows update
6. Anti Spyware stuff, with the host file and such