New XB271HUC User - A few questions...

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
Been shopping high end monitors for nearly 4 years now, couldn't get past many of the QC problems people were reporting. Recently my local Costo had a pallet of XB271HUC on sale for $649 which put my concerns to rest as returning one would be a breeze.

Well I've been patting myself on the back for SO long about getting the most out of my old Dell 2405 FPW (for which I paid almost $1k back in 2005). Kinda feel like an idiot for waiting 11 years now as this has been the single largest leap in gaming quality I've ever experienced. It's been a bit shocking to game on this beauty.

No backlight bleed, no dead pix, IPS glow is minimal and only present at bottom right and quite a small area at that, was expecting SO much worse.

Anyhow, to my questions.

1. This monitor is generally listed as XB271HU. What is the meaning of the HUC designation on mine? Wondering if it's just packaged/marketed toward a console usage or could it be "C" for Costco? The box simply states Predator XB1, the box sticker designates it as XB271HUC and the paper manual further designates it as MNT XB271HUC. Probably not important but I'm curious.

2. Bit confused on getting my refresh rate set up (emphasis on gaming performance). Do I need to choose between ultra high refresh rate and gsync or can these work in combo? As it stands, I am using the "normal" OD setting, Gsync on and I think the max refresh setting is 144. If gsync ties FPS to framerate, in BF1 the monitor's refresh counter shows me hovering in the 60's 70's with pretty much maxed settings and 150% res scaling (halfway between default and max res scale).

3. My confusion is if gsync/high game settings keeps my refresh down below 100 arent I missing the benefit of getting a full 144hz refresh? Do I need to reduce my graphic settings in game in order to enjoy these amazing refresh rates while using gsync?

Pardon my confusion, still trying to get my head around this new tech and what I need to do in order to get the best experience from this monitor.

Thanks for any advice...

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The nomenclature or naming designations often differ from the box to what you see online. My box sais PG348 while online its called PG348Q. Yours is the only one of its kind, the new version of the BX270HU, which is your XB271HU. Regarding game settings and FPS, I'd remove the res scaling. I never use it because the performance hit is huge. Your FPS will go higher, but IMO anything past 120ish is very hard to notice, and once you are in the game and concentrating on what you're doing, you likely won't notice anything past 100-120ish. Anything below 80ish starts to become noticeable IMO.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Been shopping high end monitors for nearly 4 years now, couldn't get past many of the QC problems people were reporting. Recently my local Costo had a pallet of XB271HUC on sale for $649 which put my concerns to rest as returning one would be a breeze.

Well I've been patting myself on the back for SO long about getting the most out of my old Dell 2405 FPW (for which I paid almost $1k back in 2005). Kinda feel like an idiot for waiting 11 years now as this has been the single largest leap in gaming quality I've ever experienced. It's been a bit shocking to game on this beauty.

No backlight bleed, no dead pix, IPS glow is minimal and only present at bottom right and quite a small area at that, was expecting SO much worse.

Anyhow, to my questions.

1. This monitor is generally listed as XB271HU. What is the meaning of the HUC designation on mine? Wondering if it's just packaged/marketed toward a console usage or could it be "C" for Costco? The box simply states Predator XB1, the box sticker designates it as XB271HUC and the paper manual further designates it as MNT XB271HUC. Probably not important but I'm curious.

2. Bit confused on getting my refresh rate set up (emphasis on gaming performance). Do I need to choose between ultra high refresh rate and gsync or can these work in combo? As it stands, I am using the "normal" OD setting, Gsync on and I think the max refresh setting is 144. If gsync ties FPS to framerate, in BF1 the monitor's refresh counter shows me hovering in the 60's 70's with pretty much maxed settings and 150% res scaling (halfway between default and max res scale).

3. My confusion is if gsync/high game settings keeps my refresh down below 100 arent I missing the benefit of getting a full 144hz refresh? Do I need to reduce my graphic settings in game in order to enjoy these amazing refresh rates while using gsync?

Pardon my confusion, still trying to get my head around this new tech and what I need to do in order to get the best experience from this monitor.

Thanks for any advice...

Make sure you've got gsync turned on in your nvidia control panel (I forget if it was on or off by default for me). Then thumb through the OSD for the panel and double check that gsync is turned on there as well... there should be an OSD frame you can turn on that shows you the panel's current fps... i think it may sit at 144 if gsync is off regardless of game FPS (as in, the panel is refreshing at full hz regardless of game mode), could be wrong about that part.

After that just be sure to turn off vsync in any of your games, find one that has a lot of variable fps (newer title basically) and you should see it fluxing between high and low fps with zero tearing, AND it'll be hard to actually tell that the fps is dropping. That's gsync in action.

Also re: that panel, don't bother with the '165hz overclocking', it's janky as hell and you won't notice vs 144hz.