New Workstation Build ~ $2000ish

jpeele

Sep 22, 2016
I haven't built a computer in years so I pretty unsure about what is trending. I was hoping you lovely helpful people could give me some suggestions. I answered the suggested questions below, but here are a few points that are important to me as well:
  • I'm shooting for a price range of $1500-$2500
  • I need to have at least 16+ gigs of RAM
  • As silent as reasonably possible, I don't want to build a water cooler setup though
  • Probably need an i7 of some type
  • I have a habit of filling hard drives, so probably at least 3 terabytes
Thanks so much for your input. I started an account just so I could get your advice. great community :) Feel free to ask for any further clarification.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I have use Revit which is pretty RAM intensive. Other than than that, I like to use a lot of 3D programs: ZBrush, 3DS Max, Modo, Photoshop, &c. I don't game too much, but I would like to be able to play some games at at least mid range settings should I want to.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Sine this for my work, I can justify spending a decent amount. Somewhere between $1000-2500

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
I'm in the US, so continental states are fine. I feel dirty saying this, but buying from outside California saves me about 10% in sales tax so...

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
Intel fanboy. I have a superstition about buying a motherboard and GPU from the same manufacturer will reduce compatibility issues.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
I have a few Lian Li mid-towers in the garage, but they aren't necessary, especially if there is a way to reduce noise otherwise.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I don't plan on overclocking

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
idk, let's say 4k to be safe

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.
As soon as possible

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Basic Windows

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
So it's on the high end of your budget but within budget even after purchasing a keyboard and mouse unless you go nuts with those:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($399.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer S277HK wmidpp 27.0" 60Hz Monitor ($465.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1850.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-22 22:35 EDT-0400

So a brief breakdown of why I chose the parts that I did:

CPU: It's a solid i7 and chose to go with the non K version since you stated that you're not interested in overclocking
CPU Cooler: It's optional but it's a bit quieter than the stock cooler. Feel free to try the stock cooler first to find out if it's quiet enough for you.
Motherboard: Solid motherboard with a good feature set. Since you're not overclocking an H170 chipset is all that's needed
Memory: I went with 32GB because it doesn't hurt to have more and it doesn't add much to the pricetag
Storage: SSD & mechanical HDD are pretty much the standard MO nowadays. It's a solid SSD with a good amount of space and decent speed and the mechanical HDD should be just fine for the larger files
Video card: The 1070 is a solid card that should work well in Revit and allow you to play games just fine. Keep in mind however that since you wanted a 4k monitor I did include that in the build but the 1070 may not always be able to push full detail level at that resolution for gaming. If you're willing to spend the extra and want the extra eye candy and smoothness then a 1080 would be the way to go
Case: It's a well designed case that is very quiet and has sound dampening to help keep it quiet
PSU: Solid PSU from a very reliable company
Monitor: Very nice IPS based 4K monitor with a good set of inputs and a good display

Reactions: jpeele

jpeele

Sep 22, 2016
nsafreak thanks so much, I'm going with your suggestions pretty much exactly just adding another HDD. I really appreciate the advice