Question New Work Computer Help

zero koopa

Apr 21, 2008
PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

I need to upgrade my PC for work. I currently use a lenovo laptop with a dock and am thinking of building a workstation with 2 or 3 monitors. Two would be for what ever I am working on and the other would have outlook open. I work in real estate and will use photoshop, indesign, illustrator, google earth, excel, and way too many tabs of chrome open. Typically most people will say to get just an off the rack PC but everytime I do that, it cannot handle what I want. I dont want this thing to ever slow down when I use it. Right now my current laptop keeps crashing while using these programs and its frustrating as heck.

Would I be better off with a XPS or Precison Dell??? Something like this https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-9520-laptop/ctox15w11p1c4002

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$2,500.00

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

US

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
The only brand I will never go with again is Acer for monitors

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
All new baby!

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
In 1-3 months.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Yes. Windows OS. Most likely 11.

11. Ramblings of a nerd
At the end of the day I want to see if the community thinks its better to get a Dell laptop with a newer i7, at least 32gb or ram, at least 1tb of storage and able to use 2 2k monitors.

The goal is to find something around $2,500 that is a computer that runs fast as hell with a bunch of tabs open and adobe products while do edits.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Do you need monitors or are you using the ones you have currently?

If you are reusing them this should make one heck of a workstation. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Familyman_19/saved/#view=yRJxf7

I will always choose a desktop over a laptop if the machine will live on a desk. Now if you need it to also be portable well then the laptop is best at that point. I think you could a laptop to do what you want as well but a similarly priced desktop will out perform it.

Jul 27, 2020
I don't know about the 64GB RAM. It may not be enough for browser tabs. Depends if the OP knows when the RAM gets full and he can kill the browser (Edge Chromium, Firefox or Google Chrome) so he can re-launch it with all previous tabs. I have 32GB in my Thinkpad and to me, I think something like 128GB would better serve my needs. If the OP thinks that he needs a lot of RAM, he may need to go with 5950X or Intel with DDR4.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I can't speak to the system requirements for those applications, but I agree with In2Photos...if the PC doesn't have to be portable, a desktop would be the better choice...costwise and for upgradeability.

Last edited:

zero koopa

Apr 21, 2008
Do you need monitors or are you using the ones you have currently?

If you are reusing them this should make one heck of a workstation. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Familyman_19/saved/#view=yRJxf7

I will always choose a desktop over a laptop if the machine will live on a desk. Now if you need it to also be portable well then the laptop is best at that point. I think you could a laptop to do what you want as well but a similarly priced desktop will out perform it.

This looks like a pretty solid build. Maybe I will boost up the RAM to 128 just for fun. I am going to use this as my baseline when I get closer to pulling the trigger. Much apprecaited.

Reactions: In2Photos

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=220&subcats=Y&features_hash=V294

I don't know about the 64GB RAM.
Not really as much of an issue if you turn on the new features in Chrome. In the past I could easily have issues with RAM bloat over time and occasionally up to the max capacity.

I went from 16GB to 32GB to compensate for the issues with Chrome quite a while back but, now it tends to stay under 16GB. The other issue is just crappy management of Windows resources.

Reactions: igor_kavinski