New virus out there that's spreading rapidly?

Discussion in 'Security' started by DrPizza, Nov 28, 2012.

1. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Got this in a forwarded email:

Just a heads up. I heard that an area university "lost" much of their network.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - virus spreading rapidly Forum Date
    Is this a virus Security Dec 29, 2016
    My Wifi unit has possibly been compromised by a virus Security Nov 26, 2016

3. mechBgon

mechBgon Super Moderator<br>Elite Member

Anyone interested in disabling the AutoRun attack vector can scroll down this Microsoft knowledge-base page and look for the Fix-It icons:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

This arbitrarily prevents all forms of AutoRun, malicious or otherwise, so it's a trade-off of some ease of use versus security. AutoRun worms are very common, so I opt for security.

A further countermeasure: Software Restriction Policy. If you want heavy-duty protection from exploit payloads and userland malware, it may be worth the effort. http://www.mechbgon.com/srp

4. Demo24

Demo24 Diamond Member

This has happened on a couple of the older xp machines I manage, but months ago. Its definitely not the first to do this. Its certainly neat, but annoying. The last one I've dealt with hid everything, even program files, start menu, messed with my computer, messed with device manager and made it impossible to mount any devices. Pretty thorough and I don't even know what the point was, but it created some troubles to get the files off.

5. MrColin

MrColin Platinum Member

Even still, do I have the willpower not to run sexy.exe as admin? It could be...really, really sexy, damn those malware authors!