New video card trouble, need advice

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I just got my new video card from Newegg this evening. The Sapphire box was sealed, but the anti-static bag the card is contained in was not. I didn't really think anything of it until I saw the card. The PCB looked like it was pretty old. It had that dirty, filmy look like it was either water-stained or had been hot for a long time and then cooled down. Either way it definitely didn't look new. I didn't see the words "open box" when I ordered it. Did I, in fact, get an opened card sold as new? Is this standard practice when buying a "new" 400 dollar video card? Thanks for any ideas, I'm going to write the retailer next.

MisterDonut

Dec 8, 2009
contact newegg about this. If you didn't purchase open box, everything should still be sealed.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
contact newegg about this. If you didn't purchase open box, everything should still be sealed.

+1 if you complain enough they will even give you store credit on top of the purchase price. I think your situation would qualify. It sucks but they will definitely work it out for you.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There was another thread here about someone that had purchased a 5850 from Newegg, sold as NEW, and it came with someone's 5870 BIOS flashed.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Yeh same thing happened with an 8800 GTS 512 I ordered from them. The card worked so I didn't complain, but the sticker on the static wrap package was open even though the outside box was sealed. The seal on the outside package doesn't really matter since all these companies have shrinkwrap machines that can do that easily.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
See this pretty often these days. Newegg is crap in my book.

$400 Sapphire card, must be the HD5870?

Return it and get the XFX at TigerDirect/CircuitCity when cashback hits 15% again, has been doing so off and on last couple weeks. Get it for $340, no tax and free shipping. Plus it will be new, order almost all my hardware there and never had a single issue.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
That's a great idea, I just don't know how long I can wait with no video card. How long ago was the last cashback sale? I've never even used cashback. Thanks.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I emailed them last night and haven't heard anything yet, but it might still be early. I'm hoping for the best, but this is pretty nerve-wracking.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I decided to cut to the chase with them and did a live customer support chat. Long story short, they're letting me ship the card back at their expense for a full refund. They didn't acknowledge my feelings as a good customer or even apologize though. Here's cliffs:

Me: *Explains problem*
Customer Service: Was the box tampered with?
Me: No, but the card was obviously not new
Customer Service: Do you want to return it?
Me: Yes pl0x
(RMA Mumbo-Jumbo)
Customer Service: Did I resolve your problem?
Me: I guess
Customer Service: Have a nice day

Also, in the accessories box the driver disc was just laying there, not even in the paper sleeve but the paper sleeve was in there too.

So, I'm back to square one with video cards. I'd like to wait on Fermi but every day without a video card drives me more crazy. Would a 5850 be sufficient for games with most, if not all bells and whistles @ 1920x1200? Or would I need to stick with a 5870 for that? Thanks for the help, folks.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
That's a great idea, I just don't know how long I can wait with no video card. How long ago was the last cashback sale? I've never even used cashback. Thanks.

Was at 15% last week, even as recently as a couple days ago I believe. It is pretty much always at 8%+ at TigerDirect/CircuitCity. Just seems to hit 15% at random at either site, which are really the same site but for some reason one will be at 15% and the other 8.3% at times.

Usually shows up through bing.com by using terms video card, motherboard, camcorder and even just circuit city. Make sure ad-blocking is disabled on bing, it will be one of the links at the top or side of the page. Slickdeals usually has the search terms posted when it goes to 15%.

I like it at TD/CC. It tells you on the page how much cashback you are getting shown in your cart and under the add to cart button, and it shows up confirmed in your email within 5 minutes after purchase.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Tigerdirect CB currently at 15%. Keywords = HDTV or LCD.

XFX 5870 = $340 with free shipping and no tax unless in FL, NC or IL.

5870td.jpg

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I am debating rolling back to a 285. I REALLY enjoyed having Nhancer available, especially when AA compatibility let you squeeze some FPS out of forced AA. It might be a weak reason, I also liked PhysX in certain games. Probably another weak reason. I'm still thinking about it.

JE78

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2004
I bought a i7 mobo and ram from Newegg and the motherboard box wasn't sealed but everything else in the box was so I didn't think it was a big deal. This is the first questionable item i've ever received from them so they're still top notch in my book.