New video card: Black Screens

xSnowblindx

Sep 21, 2004
My hardware problems are just endless.

So I had a BFG 5700 Ultra that was giving me vertical line artifacts, had that replaced through Alienware and just got a BFG 6800GS OC replacement from them. So I get the card in, and reformat (was doing this anyways). With XP installed, I begin to notice the screen stopping to respond (like the monitor light goes from yellow to amber, and the screen goes black-- but the computer still is running.) The only way to fix the black screen is to restart. So I figure it's something driver-related, so I go ahead and download the latest non-beta drivers from www.nvidia.com, and get those up and running along with all my other necissary drivers. The problem still happens now. I leave the computer on and it will happen at random times.

Any ideas?

animefanatic

May 25, 2005
sounds like you're getting artifacts from overheating... My computer has the somewhat same problem but it occurs if I game and that usually happens when (to my knowledge) when the card overheats.

xSnowblindx

Sep 21, 2004
You musn't have read the whole post- that was my old card getting artifacts. The replacement is just ceasing to respond. No overheating problem at all.