New tweaks for ASUS/BENQ/Samsung 120 Hz! (Zero LCD motion blur; looks like CRT)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
Does enabling the 3d steroscopic and lightboost 24/7 etc settings required for this cause any issues on a second monitor that isn't 120hz in windows extended desktop mode?
It easily works if you have the LightBoost monitor as the primary monitor.

Also if you had to pick a 27" monitor for this lightboost trickery which model do you think is the best currently?
I'd advise the VG278H which is better than the VG278HE from multiple sources, including an OCN guy who tested both. (HE is 144 Hz but it apparently has slightly worse crosstalk artifacts than the H). Or wait for the BENQ XL2720T, since it would be the first 27" sized "1ms" panel.

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
Hey man, Im thinking of getting this monitor for competitive gaming and VERY competitive gaming on Xbox.
No game console does 120fps, so it can't benefit from LightBoost which is unfortunately hardware-locked to run only at 100-120Hz, not at 60Hz.

Do you think this is the best monitor and in your lightboost thread you say that you need 120fps to =120hz but what if the fps drops under 120 say 70 while you are on 120hz, will you still se a difference? I would imagine yes.
As a rule of thumb, what you see motion-wise on a 120 Hz CRT, you get with a LightBoost display. There is little benefit at half framerate, more noticeable benefit at 80fps, significant benefit at 100fps, and maximum benefit at 120fps.

You know how 30fps and 40fps doesn't feel all that smooth on a CRT back in the old CRT days, becomes almost smooth at 50fps, but becomes startlingly perfectly clear (much smooooooother) when it hits 60fps. The same sort of thing happens with LightBoost. It's much easier to see framedrops on strobe displays (CRT and LightBoost) than on very motion-blurry LCD's that hides some of the stutters.

The frame rate dips are okay; they don't look bad per se; just make sure the game's able to run most of the time well north of half refresh rate. Do try to seek the 120fps@120Hz goal so you don't have to worry about LightBoost feeling unsmooth.

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
Here's some good stuff about motion artifacts during non-LightBoost operation:
The Blur Busters has created LCD Motion Artifacts 101, showing accurate photography
of ghosting, coronas, motion blur, and PWM artifacts!

. .

. .

We are the world’s first blog to utilize a pursuit camera for capturing motion artifacts!
See LCD Motion Artifacts 101!
LightBoost eliminates the appearance of all these artifacts on both of the newer 1ms monitors (BENQ XL2411T and ASUS VG248QE).

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
This all seems like a BIG oversight in the development of LCD technology
Manufacturers already do this nowadays with existing HDTV's. Sony Motionflow, Samsung Clear Motion Ratio, Scanning Backlights, stuff like that. Most use a combination of backlight flashing and interpolation together simultaneously. I even wrote a Scanning Backlighg FAQ.

The problem is that almost NONE of the OLDER scanning backlights is video game compatible because of input lag and artifacts. Also, complete-backlight strobes can eliminate more motion blur than scanning backlights, because it eliminates backlight diffusion between ON-segments and OFF-segments. LightBoost is the first active motion-blur-eliminating backlight technology that we've discovered truly is worthwhile for computers and gaming. Fewer disadvantages than before (still some; like color quality of TN), but much, much, much, much better than before. Originally designed for improving 3D vision, but simultaneously improves motion blur via its CRT-style stroboscopic effect.

Earlier attempts were done (e.g. BENQ AMA-Z in 2006) but they had lots of disadvantages such as 60Hz flicker and only a few percent motion blur reduction. Today, LightBoost is a visibly flicker-free (at least to most people's eyes, 120Hz) stroboscopic backlight that has an order of magnitude motion blur reduction (85%-92% depending on setting).

Now that technology has improved so massively in the last few years, to finally be able to successully bypass pixel persistence, manufacturers need to revisit this, pronto -- and give users a choice to be able to enable the stroboscopic backlight easily again.

Some people are still sensitive to motion blur even on 120 Hz LCD's; CRT's still looked clearer than 120 Hz LCD's. So the arrival of LightBoost and similar technology is like the Holy Grail for some people -- 100% complete lack of LCD motion blur.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Some people are still sensitive to motion blur even on 120 Hz LCD's; CRT's still looked clearer than 120 Hz LCD's. So the arrival of LightBoost and similar technology is like the Holy Grail for some people -- 100% complete lack of LCD motion blur.

I have been playing with my Asus for a couple of days. I can still see motion blur doing a dragging window test, but its noticeably better than the U2711 thats next to it. I did the Pixperan motion test, and on the Asus I could do level 10 easily. I do not see a difference between having lightboost on or off. I have lightboost set to the lowest setting via OSD. A nice side effect of having it on the low setting is the monitor isn't super bright. I'm still evaluating it though. I recently built a new PC so I had no source engines games to test, so I mainly did Windows based tests. I did play a little pit of Portal 2 yesterday, and the fps was almost 300. It seemed fine, but I think my old monitor was the same in regards motion blur at 120Hz. The monitor itself is pretty sweet, so I wont be disappointed if this is as good as it gets.

I may unpack my old LG 120Hz and do some comparisons, but I dont think lightboost makes an improvement for me. Its hard to gauge the improvement from one 120Hz monitor to another when you weren't looking for differences in the prior monitor.

Nov 26, 2005
I stopped using my Asus VG278H because it is just too big to game on with fast paced games like Unreal Tournament III - even at 32" away. I reverted back to an old Viewsonic 120Hz vx2265wm 3D monitor. I think it's a 5 or 6 ms gtg response time panel. After reading this post and checking links I decided to give my old Asus a try. I noticed it felt super fast off the bat. I can't explain if it's from the size and perception of my distance or not but I did notice the input lag is < the viewsonic. I didn't do a comparison without the lightboost trick but it influenced me enough to try out the Asus VG248QE 1ms 144Hz monitor. Either way I think I'll be happy with the lower input lag but I'll have to get use to the size. The 22" is very comfortable to game on, and easy on my eyes..

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
I did the Pixperan motion test, and on the Asus I could do level 10 easily. I do not see a difference between having lightboost on or off.
You can't see a difference in PixPerAn? It's pretty clear in that program.

Did you test the before-and-after on same monitor and make sure LightBoost was truly disabled? (e.g. LightBoost setting is no longer adjustable). As a shortcut without going back to nVidia Control Panel (keeping PixPerAn running), you can also unplug-and-plug the monitor (power supply) to force-disable LightBoost too. Run PixPerAn with LightBoost enabled; observe the "I NEED MORE SOCKS" text in the racing car at Tempo 8 (running at 120fps).

Then turn off LightBoost (either via Control Panel, or via unplug-plug), verify LightBoost setting is not enabled, and observe the "I NEED MORE SOCKS" text again in PixPerAn. The text should now no longer be as easily readable.

Note -- it is important to note that LightBoost does not human vision system limitations. There is still motion blur by human vision limitation. LightBoost eliminates the display-related limitations that lead to eye-tracking motion blur above-and-beyond human vision limitations. (LightBoost does solves that, at least for most smooth stutter-free motion; where stutters are not the motion blur limiting factor -- a gaming mouse helps a lot here too.).

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
You can't see a difference in PixPerAn? It's pretty clear in that program.

Did you test the before-and-after on same monitor and make sure LightBoost was truly disabled? (e.g. LightBoost setting is no longer adjustable). As a shortcut without going back to nVidia Control Panel (keeping PixPerAn running), you can also unplug-and-plug the monitor (power supply) to force-disable LightBoost too. Run PixPerAn with LightBoost enabled; observe the "I NEED MORE SOCKS" text in the racing car at Tempo 8 (running at 120fps).

Then turn off LightBoost (either via Control Panel, or via unplug-plug), verify LightBoost setting is not enabled, and observe the "I NEED MORE SOCKS" text again in PixPerAn. The text should now no longer be as easily readable.

Note -- it is important to note that LightBoost does not human vision system limitations. There is still motion blur by human vision limitation. LightBoost eliminates the display-related limitations that lead to eye-tracking motion blur above-and-beyond human vision limitations. (LightBoost does solves that, at least for most smooth stutter-free motion; where stutters are not the motion blur limiting factor -- a gaming mouse helps a lot here too.).

I can't see a difference with lightboost on or off in Pixperan. Mind you, at 120 or 144Hz, its leagues better than my U2711. But 120Hz with LB on is the same as 120Hz LB off. Well, I should say its not night and day better.

To be honest, I am not sure if LB is actually doing anything. The only way I can tell it is on is by checking the OSD on the monitor. I have it set to the lowest setting, as I think you said it would give the sharpest text.

I have a Deathadder 3.5G mouse, probably running at the native settings. I'll poke around a bit more, but its not a dealbreaker. The monitor is much better than what it is replacing.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
So I was poking around with Pixperan again, and in the readability test I was able to pass at level 20 with Lightboost on. It scrolls by really fast, but I can focus on the letters enough, and they are sharp. So I turned Lightboost off, and it was a little fuzzier. I could maybe make out the letters, but it would be based on letter recognition. It was also driving my eyes crazy. I think when I ran the test before, level 10 wasnt fast enough to see a noticeable difference. I thought level 10 was good enough, and while it is too much for a 60Hz LCD, its not enough to distinguish a 120Hz monitor to one with Lightboost on.

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
So I was poking around with Pixperan again, and in the readability test I was able to pass at level 20 with Lightboost on. It scrolls by really fast, but I can focus on the letters enough, and they are sharp. So I turned Lightboost off, and it was a little fuzzier. I could maybe make out the letters, but it would be based on letter recognition. It was also driving my eyes crazy. I think when I ran the test before, level 10 wasnt fast enough to see a noticeable difference. I thought level 10 was good enough, and while it is too much for a 60Hz LCD, its not enough to distinguish a 120Hz monitor to one with Lightboost on.
Yes; I am actually able to test PixPerAn score of 30 if I turn my head while tracking my eyes. It's correct that a PixPerAn readability tempo of 10 isn't fact enough to make LightBoost really noticeable.

The difference between LightBoost=10% and LightBoost=100% only really matters at PixPerAn speeds well above 20; if you can't tell, then you might as well leave LightBoost=100% to get the maximum brightness, while still having PixPerAn readability of 20.

Some of us track eyes really fast on screens; so people like me really benefit from LightBoost.
It's a game of diminishing returns, some people benefit far more than others.
Here's a good post from another forum, I've made:
Mark Rejhon said:
Rattle said:
thanks guys, I don't notice much difference between 120hz with LB Vs 144hz No LB TBH, both feel great though.
Vega said:
The difference is huge! I can instantly tell when LB is not on.

It's quite normal to have these conflicting reviews of LightBoost.
Common causes are the following:

HUMAN FACTORS
-- Your ability to track fast-moving objects; and your sensitivity to motion blur.
-- Whether or not you are used to CRT gaming. (LightBoost brings the CRT effect to LCD)
-- Some people growing up today, has never played on a CRT before. Such individuals may be less likely to notice quickly.
-- Some people only have a habit of eye-tracking only slower-moving objects.
-- Specific play styles. Strafing sideways & turning motions benefits more than walking forward.
-- Your sensitivity to input lag, flicker, etc. (You benefit more if you don't feel any effects from input lag or flicker)

COMPUTER FACTORS
-- Ability to run fps=Hz. You really need 120fps@120Hz to get maximum LightBoost benefit.
-- Judder/stutter control. Some games/configurations judder so much, that it negetates LightBoost.
-- Framerate limits. Some games cap to 60fps, this needs to be uncapped (e.g. fps_max)
-- Faster motion benefits more. Not as noticeable during slow motion.
-- Specific games. e.g. Team Fortress 2 benefits far more than World of Warcraft.
-- Some games judder more with VSYNC ON, while others judder more with VSYNC OFF. Test opposite setting.
-- High quality mouse (preferably 1000 Hz gaming mouse). Ordinary mice adds too much judder.

GAME PLAY STYLES THAT BENEFIT MORE:
-- Fast 180-degree flick turns in FPS shooting.
-- Shooting while turning, without stopping turning (easier on CRT or LightBoost)
-- Close-up strafing, especially circle strafing
-- Running while looking at the ground (e.g. hunting for tiny objects quickly).
-- Identifying multiple far-away enemies or small targets, while turning fast
-- Playing fast characters such as "Scout" in Team Fortress 2
-- High-speed low passes, such as low helicoptor flybys in Battlefield 3, you aim better.

For people who have gameplay styles in fast-action video games, such people can gain a massive competitive advantage during fast-motion activities, because you react faster. Without motion blur, enemies are easier to identify while you're still in fast motion. Even out of the corner of your eyes, even before you stop moving. Without motion blur, fast panning motion look as perfectly sharp as being stationary -- LightBoost measured 92% sharper motion than a 60 Hz LCD -- which yields a high-definition-in-motion experience when you play with an impulse driven display like CRT or LightBoost. As a result, there are several gamers (with certain game play styles) who gain a lot more frags when gaming with LightBoost.

Human reaction times are often measured in hundred(s) of milliseconds; even reducing human lag a tiny bit is useful. Even if you react a scant 20 milliseconds faster, that can still actually out-compensate an enemy that has less input lag than you. While it is noteworthy to mention some people say input lag is too high for them, for other people the input lag is not even felt or noticeable (It's important to note that there are many factors of input lag other than the display, too). For some people, the lack of motion blur (reduced human brain lag) far outweighs the minor (unnoticeable) input lag disadvantage of LightBoost; and have game scores that go up dramatically with LightBoost. However, it is understandable, not everyone benefits, for various factors -- listed above.
So the bottom line is, LightBoost is not for everyone. For some of us, completely eliminating all LCD-related motion blur (and leaving the motion blur limiting factor to the human vision system) -- is essentially the LCD Holy Grail. For others, it's a benefit that is somewhere in between -- it's a good enhancement that's useful to enable only at some times, in some games, but not other times.

The LightBoost 2D tweak keep getting testimonials like:

Baxter299 said:
Light boost is awesome finally got it working ...What a great tweak. Im loving it What fun

Skyviper said:
SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!

Am I seeing this correctly? The last time I gamed on a CRT monitor was back in 2006 before I got my first LCD and this ASUS monitor is EXACTLY like how I remembered gaming on a CRT monitor. I was absolutely shocked and amazed at how clear everything was when moving around. After seeing Lightboost in action, I would have gladly paid twice the amount for something that can reproduce the feeling I got when playing on a CRT. Now I really can't see myself going back to my 30" 2560x1600 IPS monitor when gaming. Everything looks so much clearer on the ASUS with Lightboost turned on.
So it's night and day for some people, probably fast-eye-trackers, long-time CRT users.
Though, it's also clear that not everyone gets the same LightBoost benefit.

Last edited:

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
LB set all the way down, is that correct procedure ? Mine is all the way up.
LB at maximum is brighter but less clear motion. (2.4ms strobe flash)
LB at minimum (but not OFF) is dimmer but clearer motion. (1.4ms strobe flash)
You can adjust between 10% through 100% as a balanced compromise.

As a compromise, I use an LB setting of 50%.
I am very sensitive to motion blur, but I don't like a too-dim picture either.
Only people who are very sensitive to motion blur, will see the difference between LB 10% vs 100%

PixPerAn Tests on BENQ XL2411T and ASUS VG278H

baseline - 60 Hz mode (16.7ms frame samples)
50% less motion blur (2x clearer) - 120 Hz mode (8.33ms frame samples)
60% less motion blur (2.4x clearer) - 144 Hz mode (6.94ms frame samples)
85% less motion blur (7x clearer) - 120 Hz, LightBoost OSD=100% (2.4ms frame strobe flashes)
92% less motion blur (12x clearer) - 120 Hz, LightBoost OSD=10% (1.4ms frame strobe flashes)

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Yes; I am actually able to test PixPerAn score of 30 if I turn my head while tracking my eyes. It's correct that a PixPerAn readability tempo of 10 isn't fact enough to make LightBoost really noticeable.

26 seems to be about my max. At 27 the letters start getting fuzzy. Maybe if I had longer than 60 seconds I could get it all, but it doesnt really matter.

I find 10% perfect. The monitor isnt sun blinding bright.

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
I find 10% perfect. The monitor isnt sun blinding bright.
Yes, LightBoost 10% has this other benefit -- people who need a much dimmer image, without the disadvantage of PWM artifacts caused by dimming Brightness.

Although LightBoost is a strobe backlight and technically like a low-frequency PWM at one strobe per refresh -- it has more in common with a 120 Hz CRT in that LightBoost has no PWM artifacts. This is because there's no PWM artifacts at 1 strobe per refresh; and excess brightness is more evil for some people's eyes, depending on the person. Some people's headaches are caused by PWM, while other people's are caused by excess brightness.

dqniel

Mar 13, 2004
Thank you for sharing all of this information Mark. I think I know my next purchase now... a LightBoost capable LCD. The amount of data and explanations given in this thread have convinced me. I've been trying to mimic the "smooth as glass" experience I had playing CoD on a CRT at 250fps and 160Hz by using an overclocked IPS panel. The jump from 60Hz to 120Hz on my IPS was nice, but it still is no where near as smooth as the CRT, even with adequate FPS.

I hope LightBoost gives me what I want :)

BoFox

May 10, 2008
Thank you for sharing all of this information Mark. I think I know my next purchase now... a LightBoost capable LCD. The amount of data and explanations given in this thread have convinced me. I've been trying to mimic the "smooth as glass" experience I had playing CoD on a CRT at 250fps and 160Hz by using an overclocked IPS panel. The jump from 60Hz to 120Hz on my IPS was nice, but it still is no where near as smooth as the CRT, even with adequate FPS.

I guess you have a catleap 2B?

omeds

Dec 14, 2011
You can get 120hz out of that panel? Is there any batch I would need to find, or all Overlord x270oc can oc? What about inputs and scaler, as in is there any input lag?

What do you think of it vs the catleap?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks.

Nov 26, 2005
Hi there. I've bought an Asus VG248QE, and I've tried to install the .inf file and Windows 7 says "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation"

What am I doing wrong?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Hi there. I've bought an Asus VG248QE, and I've tried to install the .inf file and Windows 7 says "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation"

What am I doing wrong?

You have to install the driver from device manager. You want to select the device from a list, then have disk. Sorry I cant be more specific, as I'm at work and dont have access to a Windows machine.

Nov 26, 2005
You have to install the driver from device manager. You want to select the device from a list, then have disk. Sorry I cant be more specific, as I'm at work and dont have access to a Windows machine.

Got in installed. I used the 'Have Disk' option and it worked.

Cheers! :)

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
Due to you being spoiled by IPS colors, the colors will be a downgrade, but the lack of motion blur will be massive upgrade from IPS for fast-twitch action if you are sensitive to motion blur. You can improve color quality by sending your monitor to Vega (Vega on HardForum, CallSignVega on OCN) to be de-matted; converting your VG248QE to a glossy. There's also various LightBoost calibration tweaks that significantly improves picture quality (use a Contrast of 65 instead of 90, and use nVidia Control Panel to calibrate).

Vega on HardForum has switched from Catleap 2B 120Hz IPS to his triple-LightBoost surround setup (yes, Portrait TN's):
Vega's Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Titan Portrait Surround Gloss Build
For some people (fast twitch action games), keeping all the high-definition goodness even while in fast motion, is apparently more important; having fast pans that are as crystal-clear as stationary images.

Personally, I'm far more annoyed at motion blur than by the color, so I prefer LightBoost. But just be prepared for the IPS color downgrade in exchange for the big motion-blur-elimination upgrade.

Last edited:

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
Got in installed. I used the 'Have Disk' option and it worked.
Cheers! :)
BTW, ToastyX just sent me some new instructions that may make it easier to enable LightBoost, without INF files, without REG files, and without an emitter. These haven't been fully tested on all models, but has fewer steps than my Hack method of my LightBoost HOWTO.

ToastyX said:
For NVIDIA users, LightBoost can be enabled entirely by using CRU without installing inf or reg files.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

1. The drop-down list should have an entry for each monitor. If there are more entries and you're not sure which ones are active, run reset-all.exe and reboot. That should leave you with an entry for each connected monitor.
  2. If you don't have a 3D emitter, use the "Edit..." button at the very top to set the product ID to ACI27F8 for each monitor. This will make the driver think you have a VG278H with a built-in emitter so you can enable 3D mode. The model name doesn't matter and can be set to whatever you want.
  3. Use the "Import..." button at the bottom to import this file: lightboost.bin
    I've included the 120/110/100 Hz LightBoost resolutions. You can remove the ones you don't need. If you have multiple monitors, use the copy and paste buttons at the top to copy the resolutions to the other monitor entries.
  4. Click OK to save the changes, then reboot.
  5. In the NVIDIA control panel, open the "Set up stereoscopic 3D" page, then click the "Run Setup Wizard" button. If the button isn't there, uncheck "Enable stereoscopic 3D" and click the "Apply" button.
  6. In the setup wizard, click the "Next" button, then click "Next" again. At this point, it should enable LightBoost, and if you don't have an emitter, the mouse cursor will be very sluggish and jerky. If you don't need to enable 3D, you can exit here. Otherwise, continue the wizard as usual.
Now LightBoost should be enabled and stay enabled as long as the monitor isn't unplugged. If there is a power outage, you will have to run the setup wizard again.

If you update the video driver, you might have to go through the process again. I might make a program to simplify the process, but I need to figure out how to enable LightBoost directly in the monitor without having to run the setup wizard manually.