New to water cooling have questions... any tips?

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I’m going to play around with my first water loop. I ordered a XSPC D5 AX kit from Performance pcs with a Raystorm Pro water block, 7/16 tubing, compression fittings, 170 Res, D5 vario pump, 1650RPM fans, AX240 rad and Mayhems Biocide.
I’m planning on running distilled water and the biocide in the loop. My question is do I need to clean the equipment… rinse it out so to speak before building it? If so how would you do it? This setup will be replacing a Corsair H50 I have been using on my I7 4770K for years. I will upgrade it down the road with another 240 or 360 rad for my video card (Gigabyte G1 Gaming) when I feel comfortable with the loop. Maybe when I change the water out next year.
Anyway any tips you can offer to a newbie.

Link to kit I got.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/hot-xspc-raystorm-d5-photon-ax240-watercooling-kit.html

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I rinsed my radiators with tap water, let the water shift back and forth and dumped it into a bowl. There was flakes and debris that came out of the radiators. I flushed with distilled after. Those flakes could get stuck in the CPU block, so I'd suggest cleaning the rad before use.