New to Rosetta - Have Questions

sduguid

Jan 23, 2001
I just recently started crunching Rosetta and have a couple of questions.

First, one of my systems is a laptop with a single-core Pentium M. I've noticed that after the system resumes from Standby or Hibernate, Rosetta does not resume crunching. The Boinc Manager is running but crunching does not resume unless I restart the service or reboot the system.

Also, my other current system is a Sempron 2800+ - it seems to be getting a lot of Error results - validation errors. It is also doing significantly fewer results than the laptop and I don't seem to be getting much if any credit.

Is there a program I can use to keep an eye on my stats? Any optimized clients that are recommended?

Also, has anyone run this on a Windows Home Server?

sduguid

Jan 23, 2001
I've stopped Rosetta on that system for now and am also evaluating Folding@Home. I've been away from DC for a few years so I don't know much about the projects nowadays.

I've always had a soft spot for Seti but the goals of Rosetta@Home and Folding@Home interest me....

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Hello Scott,

I know you don't post often but I recognize your handle from way back. I've been hoping someone would answer your inquiry for I personally have not experienced the symptoms you describe.

I think you are running into problems because you are putting your computers in hibernation mode. DC projects, no matter which, don't really swing into action until your computer is pretty much idling. Then they launch full speed ahead and pretty much keep your CPU running at full tilt, 100%.

I never put my computers in hibernation/sleep mode. I set the screen saver to kick in pretty quickly after I've actively stopped using the system. Actually, I have found a little free program named, "Screen Saver Control", that I use to alternately put my computers into either a "never launch screen saver mode" or a "start screen saver immediately mode" with a single click. I use BLANK SCREEN for my screen saver and select "1 minute".

Now even more importantly, you need to go into the Power Option Properties / Power Schemes of the Display Properties. There I set the "Turn off monitor" settings to no more than "5 minute" and I usually use "1 minute". Remember, I using "Screen Saver Control". I set the "Turn off hard disks", "System standby", and "System hibernates" to NEVER.

I think if you use these setting you most likely won't experience the "hang ups" that have been giving you trouble.

Good luck. :)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Most BOINC projects (most DC projects actually) have a deadline on when results must be sent back. If your Sempron system is not on for long you might want to check that you are not going past the deadline often. If you are going past the deadline too often, I think there is a way to select smaller WUs that will finish faster.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: sduguid
I just recently started crunching Rosetta and have a couple of questions.

First, one of my systems is a laptop with a single-core Pentium M. I've noticed that after the system resumes from Standby or Hibernate, Rosetta does not resume crunching. The Boinc Manager is running but crunching does not resume unless I restart the service or reboot the system.
I'm not aware of any problems with Standby/Hibernating, but I'm not using a laptop either, so...

But, atleast to start somewhere... To find out if it's a BOINC-problem or a Rosetta-specific problem, you try SETI@home and see if resuming works with SETI@home or not.

Also, my other current system is a Sempron 2800+ - it seems to be getting a lot of Error results - validation errors. It is also doing significantly fewer results than the laptop and I don't seem to be getting much if any credit.
A quick look on your Results shows that atleast the current errors is due to Rosetta@home for some reason cancelling some wu's, and is therefore not a problem with your computer. If not mistaken, you'll get credited for these cancelled wu later...

Is there a program I can use to keep an eye on my stats?
There's some excellent stats-sites listed on http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/home.php
Also, the BOINC Manager's Statistics-tab has some info.

Any optimized clients that are recommended?
There's no Rosetta-application available that crunches faster.

Also, has anyone run this on a Windows Home Server?
Likely yes...

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: GLeeM
Most BOINC projects (most DC projects actually) have a deadline on when results must be sent back. If your Sempron system is not on for long you might want to check that you are not going past the deadline often. If you are going past the deadline too often, I think there is a way to select smaller WUs that will finish faster.
In Rosetta@home cpu-time is configurable from 1h to 24h with default 3 hours. Rosetta@home will always generate 1 "decoy", and if enough time left until cpu-time-preference, will start on another "decoy". It is possible with some wu's it can take several hours to finish the 1st. decoy, but normally meeting the 10-day deadline shouldn't be a problem in Rosetta@home, even with a "slow" computer only running part-time.

The only problem can be that Rosetta@home often doesn't checkpoint except then finished a "decoy", meaning if runs too short time before shutdown, will never finish the wu...

sduguid

Jan 23, 2001
Part of the issue is that it isn't me who uses the laptop and the screen usually gets closed when it's not in use. I've set it to stay on even when the screen is closed and it won't hibernate unless someone specifically hibernates it. So, I don't know why it wouldn't restart cruching but - problem solved.

As for the system that didn't seem to be reporting results, it is a desktop so hibernate/standby is not an issue. It got to the point where I was looking at the workunits and it was obviously doing them and they would dissapear from the list but the Messages Tab showed no activity and my results page didin't seem to be updating.

I'll maybe revisit that in a while if I don't stick with Folding@Home on that system.

Originally posted by: Smoke

I think you are running into problems because you are putting your computers in hibernation mode. DC projects, no matter which, don't really swing into action until your computer is pretty much idling. Then they launch full speed ahead and pretty much keep your CPU running at full tilt, 100%.

I never put my computers in hibernation/sleep mode. I set the screen saver to kick in pretty quickly after I've actively stopped using the system. Actually, I have found a little free program named, "Screen Saver Control", that I use to alternately put my computers into either a "never launch screen saver mode" or a "start screen saver immediately mode" with a single click. I use BLANK SCREEN for my screen saver and select "1 minute".

Now even more importantly, you need to go into the Power Option Properties / Power Schemes of the Display Properties. There I set the "Turn off monitor" settings to no more than "5 minute" and I usually use "1 minute". Remember, I using "Screen Saver Control". I set the "Turn off hard disks", "System standby", and "System hibernates" to NEVER.

sduguid

Jan 23, 2001
Update - things were going oddly haywire so I did a re-install of Boinc and now my desktop system seems to be running ok.

It also turns out I had a bunch of those t405 workunits and Rosetta has posted an update saying they're bad and to abort them. Those are all flushed out so things are looking up.

I can also report that the Boinc/Rosetta combination seems to work well in the Windows Home Server Environment. Anyone doing that should likely use the Service install, as there will rarely be anyone logged into the box unless you go in with Remote Desktop.

If you wanted to be really safe, you could wait until after the upcoming Power Pack 1 update and I'll report back on whether or not that causes any issues.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Smoke
Hello Scott,

I know you don't post often but I recognize your handle from way back. I've been hoping someone would answer your inquiry for I personally have not experienced the symptoms you describe.

I think if you use these setting you most likely won't experience the "hang ups" that have been giving you trouble.

That is EXACTLY what I set my systems to! :thumbsup: