New to overclocking my video card

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
I currently have a GeForce 2 GTS and I want to overclock it. But how will I know when I have gone too far and how will I know if its getting too hot? I already have an overclocking utility for my card.

paladiin

Oct 23, 2001
If you're just getting started overclocking, remember two words: Go Slow.

Overclock no more than 5mhz up at a time. To test the settings, run a 3D intense benchmark (3DMark2001SE is excellent for testing). There are a few things that will let you know you have gone too far:

1) Artifacts. These are visual anomolies such as spots or dots or messed up pixels.

2) Tearing: These look like "rips" along polygons.

3) Lock Ups: This is when your computer freezes.

Any of these will let you know you've gone too far. If going slow, you will usually run into the first two before you experience lock ups. If you get these problems, back off a few Mhz and try again. Do this until you can run it at the fastest speed without errors. I believe the most common way to overclock is to push your memory as far as it can go without problems, then go ahead and work on the core speed. This will give you the best performance out of your overclock.

To do it right, it's gonna take you some time. But it's the safest way.

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
thanks, but do I need to worry about heat? or will those signs tell me if its getting too hot.

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
If you're worried about heat, then put another 80mm fan blowing across the vid card.

Heat will probably be one of the limiting factors that stops it from going too high. If it works at a high speed for a prolonged period of time (say after running 3dmark or Prime95 looped), then it should be ok.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
Oh, just so you know, o/cing the memory is pretty much the only way to get any boost from the GTS o/cing the core don't help any. Ok that's all.

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Mith
Oh, just so you know, o/cing the memory is pretty much the only way to get any boost from the GTS o/cing the core don't help any. Ok that's all.

Thats good to know but why is that? It seems to me like it would be analogous to o/cing your cpu.

cdub

May 31, 2002
It is analogous to OC'ing your CPU... increasing memory bandwidth provides more speed than simply increasing the clock multiplier. That's why it is sometimes better to decrease the multiplier while increasing the FSB rather than just cranking up the multiplier.

jaybee

Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: paladiin
If you're just getting started overclocking, remember two words: Go Slow.

Overclock no more than 5mhz up at a time. To test the settings, run a 3D intense benchmark (3DMark2001SE is excellent for testing).
Good point.
I believe the most common way to overclock is to push your memory as far as it can go without problems, then go ahead and work on the core speed. This will give you the best performance out of your overclock.

To do it right, it's gonna take you some time. But it's the safest way.
Another good point. When overclocking any component, try to isolate what you're stressing. In other words, don't crank everything up at once or you won't know what's causing the bugs/lockups/artifacts/foul burning smell/etc.

jaybee