New to oc'ing

madbutcher88

Jul 4, 2008
Hi I just recently built a new pc and put a q9450 processor in it, since I dont want to be cpu bound in games I want overclock it a little and need to know all things I need for it to a smooth process, Ill list any info needed thanks in advance

Edit: Woops!! missed it thanks though

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
There's a sticky that explains pretty much everything you need to know.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
DSF is pointing you in the right direction. There's Graysky's OC'ing guide, and another on using the test and benchmark software.

You should be able to find other guidance all over the web.

IMHO -- It's best if you have your most valued data, web-access and e-mail stuff on another older computer while you do this.

It takes time . . . . and patience. It must be done carefully, and I've made posts in the last couple days showing how stupid I myself feel for getting careless.

If you're drawn to nice, round-number milestones like I and others are, given the postings of other OC'ers in conjunction with the CPU you have, and ESPECIALLY -- if you can get the system stable to that point -- then try for another 5 or 10 megahertz on the CPU "external frequency" or FSB -- translating to another 20 to 40 megahertz for the system FSB and 10 to 20 megahertz increase in the DDR speed (if not running on a divider other than 1:1). Then hold the voltage settings and timings once you have it rock-solid and error-free, and drop back to your "milestone."

I'd also recommend, since you'll be bumping up the CPU VCORE voltage -- try and keep the VCORE to within 5% and no more than 10% of the retail-box-maximum spec. That's just my own advice. Others may be more daring in their advice. And if you can't get it rock-stable at the settings you want within that guideline, settle for a lower over-clock setting.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I GOT THOSE LAST WEEK!! As soon as I'd order them, knowing about the rebate, EGG dropped the darn price to what you may have got them for if . . . . you got 'em in the last four or five days, you lucky little . . . so-and-so. [kiddn an jus jealous.]

The seem to be a stand-up memory kit as far as I can tell -- they're running at the 4,4,4,12 timings and the recommended 2.1V voltage at DDR=810 at the moment. But you need 2.1V to get the spec'd 4,4,4,12 and DDr=800 speed, while the 2.1V is their warranty maximum.

I'm still attempting to find out how "elastic" they are at those timings and the same voltage.

They have GOT to run cool -- those heatspreaders are like anvils.