new to me hardware, how to configure?

mitchg233

Aug 22, 2008
Soon I will have 2 36 gig raptors, 2 74 gig raptors, and a Silicon image pci 4 sata/raid card.

I also have two big sata data drives and two IDE drives.

All this will be on an old but good epox 9nda-j mobo, with two raid capable sata ports.

What I do during the day is run a business and watch some stock market charts. As evening comes I edit video.

I wonder how to set this up. I think I want to use the two 36 gigs as my os and (most of) my program files disc, set up in raid 1, resulting in 36 gigs of capacity, which should be enough. I wonder if there it would be a good idea to set up the 74's as raid 0 and use them soley as the video editing part of the computer, for speed. The programs are easy to reproduce and the finished vids are saved, twice, elsewhere.

Alternitively, I wonder if it would be worth it to set up the 36's in
Raid 0 for the supposed speed advantage, back them up with partitions in the 74's, (half of those discs) as a 0-1, or is it 10, setup. I am not sure that the partitions are ok in this instance anyway. The remaining partitions of the 74.s would be raid 0 for editing software and temp files.

This system worked well with a single 74 raptor in charge of most stuff, and big ide discs for data and temp files. One too many crashes, and unsuccessful recoveries, have made me appreciate redundancy. A LOT.

Thanks.