new to folding need suggestions on spare nvidia 210

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
been a avid read of reviews and articles from this site since 2006 and i decided since im gonna fold i decided to pick team 198 as my team i havent done much folding in a while and i currently have a gtx580 folding overnight from 2am to 11am and most of the day if im not gaming:D now i have a spare 512mb 210 sitting around i know it isnt that powerful but would it be worthy for folding?how many ppd could it produce and how would i go about setting it up for folding?if the card cant even do 2,000 i rather not even bother with the extra noise and heat its gonna put into my case:| wish i had more cards cause if and when i fold i become a junky :p good thing amd has their newer cpus coming out soon a good excuse for a second folding rig:p
:biggrin: really excited about this come on we need more members lets get to the top 10 :awe:

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
You might be able to try a couple (Seti@Home, Milkyway, possible even PrimeGrid). I'm not certain of the 210, since it is quite on the low end for the Nvidia 200 series GPUs.

At any rate, I would try connecting to a few projects and see if you can download and folding a couple of WUs, just to see if it can be a long term project for this card.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Welcome to TeAm Anandtech! :)

I doubt the 210 will get 2k ppd. To add a 2nd GPU in the v7 client you would just add a slot, for v6 you would run a 2nd copy & add the -gpu 1 flag (and -gpu 0 for the 1st).

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
Welcome to TeAm Anandtech! :)

I doubt the 210 will get 2k ppd. To add a 2nd GPU in the v7 client you would just add a slot, for v6 you would run a 2nd copy & add the -gpu 1 flag (and -gpu 0 for the 1st).

Mine gets just under 1k ppd

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
yeah it doesnt sound like a worthy card to generate more heat take up space i spent a couple hours trying to figure out how maximize the potential of my i7 950 im stuck on stupid on how to get it to run on all threads not just loading at 20% i ran 3 clients for a while dont believe im doing that right am i?i got a 2500000 size wu and i got a 3 min 30 second tpf on three clients then the next wu quadtrupled in size

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
yeah it doesnt sound like a worthy card to generate more heat take up space i spent a couple hours trying to figure out how maximize the potential of my i7 950 im stuck on stupid on how to get it to run on all threads not just loading at 20% i ran 3 clients for a while dont believe im doing that right am i?i got a 2500000 size wu and i got a 3 min 30 second tpf on three clients then the next wu quadtrupled in size

The highest ppd for your 950 would be running -bigadv WU on Linux (either native or in a VM). Make sure you get a passkey if you don't already have one. At the very least you should be running with the -smp flag.

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
The highest ppd for your 950 would be running -bigadv WU on Linux (either native or in a VM). Make sure you get a passkey if you don't already have one. At the very least you should be running with the -smp flag.
what is the ppd difference between win 7 and say ubuntu?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
i used to always run ubuntu then i had nothing but issues with 9.04 i believe it was with the p45 chipset never played with it again but depending what happens with bulldozer i might turn this rig into a dedicated ubuntu folding rig and let my gf use it to check her facebook and stuff,im sure she can figure out ubuntu she just uses facebook:p of course the gtx580 will be going into the new rig and ill see how my lousy spare 210 can handle ubuntu and folding i doubt that much better but since ive had nothing but good experiences with windows 7 i hate giving myself a headache with ubuntu again at this moment and time until i build a new rig:p