New to Apple: Need Ipod/Macbook Pro app and flash assistance

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
I am new(ish) to Apple (having used Power Mac G4s for video production in the past, but not as a PC). I received an Ipod Touch yesterday and will be getting my new i7 Macbook Pro today.

I know that Apple is anti-flash, and I am trying to get watch flash vids on my Ipod Touch with little success. I found a bookmark workaround, but it doesn't seem to work well. Is there a mini-browser or some other workaround that I can use to watch flash videos on my Ipod?

Additionally, I would like to download a free app for my new Macbook Pro to convert flv video to mp4. Does anyone have a preferred app?

Lastly, is there any recommended software that I must have for my Macbook Pro? I have already downloaded:

• aLaunch
  • Audacity
  • Bean
  • Blender
  • Caffeine
  • Celtx
  • Coconut Battery
  • Cyberduck
  • Deeper
  • Dock Spaces
  • Fair Game
  • ffmpegX
  • Firefox
  • GIMP
  • Google Chrome
  • Hand Brake
  • iDMG
  • iPod Disk
  • KisMAC
  • Name Changer
  • NVU
  • Perian
  • Quicksilver
  • Text Wrangler
  • The Unarchiver
  • Thunderbird
  • VLC
  • WM Components
  • Xtorrent

Cliffs:
Need Ipod Touch flash video workaround.
Need free flv to mp4 converter.

Would like Macbook Pro software recommendations.

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
There is no flash support on iOS. There are a few projects going on to try and hack something together, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Most video sites have HTML5 video support these days so you probably won't find it to be as big as a problem as you might have thought.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
For converting Flash to Mp4, I recommend you check out ClickToFlash. It will replace Flash content on your webpages (this is on the MacBook Pro) with placeholders and then you can (at least on YouTube) download the h.264 version.

As for the applications you got...
Drop xTorrent, get Transmission (God, I hope you didn't pay for xTorrent)
You don't need Perian AND WM Components. I don't think it hurts anything though.
Coconut Battery isn't needed anymore, if you click the apple in the upper left corner, and then hold ALT, you can go into System Profiler and it will tell you what you need to know.

Where did you get this list? I see a lot of stuff that I have never heard of (not a crime), and some that just seems odd. Such as Coconut Battery, xTorrent, FireFox AND Chrome, Thunderbird instead of Mac Mail, KisMac...