New system, when powered down, turns itself back on in a second, tried all known solu

JebusPrime

Jan 13, 2015
Asrock Q2900 ITX
Corsair CX430 power source, 5 month old, works fine just 2 hours ago on another system.
G Skill 4GB ram, the board supports both standard and low voltage
sata 2 hard drive

New system, just bought, I turned it on to see what the EFI is like, no OS on the system yet. But when I press the power button to shut it down, it will power itself back on in a few seconds later. I looked around the EFI and I didn't see anything that could cause this.

Then I installed Win 7 to see if the problem would go away, but it didn't change. I can only hibernate right now.

memtest showed no problem with my new ram.

I googled this problem, tried them all, and none of them solved the problem for me.

----
I tried clearing CMOS, 1st I turn off power source, waited for a minute
changed the pin from closed to clear cmos for a minute
changed the pin back to closed
then I power on to see if it solves the problem, but when I power off the system again it still powers itself back on a few seconds later.

Then I tried removing the mobo battery for 5 minutes, and the problem still persists.

Hell I even flashed to the latest version of the firmware and still no change, then I flashed back, and it's still there. I am out of tricks here, should I just exchange the board?

----
I think I hooked up the front panel correctly,

my system panel pins are like this

1 processor light +
2 processor light -
3 power button
4 ground
5 harddrive light +
6 harddrive light -
7 ground
8 reset button
9 ground

Push button switches have no polarities, right? I used 7 and 8 for the rest button, and it seems to do warm reset properly.

My system shuts off then powers on again, so it's not like a reset, I think the problem is somewhere else.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Power down your monitor first before powering off the pc. Check for Keyboard/mouse wake pc in bios.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Power down your monitor first before powering off the pc. Check for Keyboard/mouse wake pc in bios.

[Why didn't I THINK of that?! Waiting for someone else to answer the OP!]

No s***!! I can't remember how many times I was totally mystified about the same phenomenon after bumping the mouse while sitting at my desk!

Man's gotta get familiar with his BIOS . . . . and all those boot and sleep features . . . .

Feb 25, 2011
Skynet was using it for something important. Wait until it's done, then you'll be able to turn it off.

But seriously; yeah, it's probably a BIOS power management setting. (Wake, power loss behavior, scheduled start, etc.)