New Super Bike...Need Advice

jimmygates

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
I was at the local Yamaha dealer today and had my eyes set on the new 2001 Yamaha R6. I was really tempted to ride out of the dealership but I restrained myself. Was wondering if anyone else had any options on 600cc superbikes. I was told the Suzuki GSX750-R was also an excellent bike. I'm 5' 7", 130lbs so I have to limit my selection to 600-750cc bikes. (I was tempted by the Yamaha R1 but I think that would be too powerful)

-Jimbo

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
Hey I was just wondering what you do for a living? You were about to ride off on a R6 today? You must be rich!!!!

Thanks for the A7V133 board!

JohnnyKnoxville

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2001
I would check out the Honda CBR600F4.It gets rave reviews every year and this year gets fuel injection.The R6 looks nice, haven't read too much about it but my personal choice is the R1.
You only live once.

jimmygates

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
Haha...yea I was about to leave the sales rep a wad a of cash and just take off with the bike. I've been saving up for a bike for a while now. I'm in college so I currently don't have a full time job.

Johnny: Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the Honda. I had some interest in the Honda RC51 :p

-jimbo

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000
You best weapon against riding any bike is two things...your wrist and the thing that controls it (your brain).

My first bike, new, was a 1995 CBR 600 F3...and everyone said I'd kill myself, wreck, die, too much power, etc...I'm still here so that "too much bike, power, etc" applies to *anyone* too immature to ride a motorcycle...but if you are mature and responsible, you can ride anything.

Respect the bike, ride within your limits, and don't be an ass--you'll be fine. As soon as you 1) showoff 2) get over confident you'll get hurt or dead.

My 2nd bike was a 1997 GSX-R600...3rd was a 1999 TL1000R...see the pattern? GET INSURANCE (State Farm hates me :) ) Theft is a big problem, especially in any college town.

PM if you have any questions, I'll answer or find someone who can.

~AJ

Edit: Any of the new "sport" or "super" bikes is going to be pretty awesome...with 99% of the mortal/average riders, the bike is more than you'll ever need---go with personal preference (ie what you like the looks of) and you'll be happy...unless of course you're the next Bubba Shoebert, Eddie Lawson, Miguel DuHamel, or your last name is Hayden and you have a lot of brothers.

Edit: I may be a bit inaccurate but SUPER bikes are 750 Twins (Ducati, etc.) and 1000cc inlines and SPORT bikes are the 600cc inline 4s. I think there's also a SUPERSPORT, but that may be just 600's in the AMA class...then there are the 500cc GP bikes that are totally amazing (2 strokes)...