New Star Trek game

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
They got the lensflare in it, so it matches the movies

-and-

It can't be any worse than the ground combat in STO

(applause)

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Console shooter in the vein of Gears of War. No thanks. I'll take the ground combat in STO over this steaming pile of crap just so I can have ship to ship combat too.

Is it just me or does it sorta look like Mass Effect reskinned?

Pretty much what I thought.

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
I'll take the ground combat in STO over this steaming pile of crap just so I can have ship to ship combat too.

It's so funny how really terrible the ground combat was in STO when the ship combat was actually a lot of fun (IMO). The ground missions were so bland and similarly laid out, it made no sense to me.

I can't believe there is another Star Trek game so soon after STO. I mean it was supposed to be the second coming and it came and fizzled in months. I like the Star Trek franchise, but they need to come up with a new recipe.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Ah, yes... Star Trek and video games, what an unlikely combination. After so many years I have yet to play one I like enough to keep, or buy. I still remember playing Starfleet Academy on the 32X, and then Elite Force II later on, on my first "gaming PC" (and it wasn't performing well). To be honest though I never played many others (I did, I just can't recall their names nor on which platforms they were exactly), those two are the ones I happen to have the most memories of... and well Elite Force II was decent (I just wish I had a better PC back then). I never bothered with STO, watched some footage on YouTube, thought it looked horrendous (especially animations). Not sure if it changed since then (I think I watched that footage like two years ago).

I absolutely adore Star Trek though, the universe, the movies, etc. I especially liked Deep Space Nine and the Dominion War arc, always wanted a game based on those events (but I'm biased for that one). As far as video games go, however, I think that Star Trek could shine with ground-based (infantry mostly, of course) combat and game-play. The space-based Ship(s) VS Ship(s) combat for Star Trek, in my opinion, would be better suited in games with the style and mechanics of the likes of Wings Commander, StarLancer and Freespace, and would be on its own, completely excluding ground combat. If the devs focused too much on both (space and ground combat) they wouldn't be able to polish either enough.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It's so funny how really terrible the ground combat was in STO when the ship combat was actually a lot of fun (IMO). The ground missions were so bland and similarly laid out, it made no sense to me.

I can't believe there is another Star Trek game so soon after STO. I mean it was supposed to be the second coming and it came and fizzled in months. I like the Star Trek franchise, but they need to come up with a new recipe.

The problem is they keep wanting to make Star Trek games that appeal to the mouth breathing masses, but market it to the core fan base. So they end up with game mechanics that appeal to 10 year old kids and are hated by the very people they are marketing the game to.
Want to make a Star Trek game that is popular with the core fan base? Make a 4X game, or a RPG.
What to make on that will appeal to a wider audience? Make a space based RTS loosely based on the old Star Trek Battles table top game.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The academy & fleet command games along with elite force were pretty good, armada was a decent pseduo rts and STO can be fun too. only a few bad and most of those could be excused as they weren't so much a game but a digital way to explore the ST universe.

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Funny... I was just playing STO just now. :)

I agree though, the ground missions are poor for the most part. Aside from the actual scripted ones - those are actually pretty good especially when you get into huge firefights. But the generic "exploration" ones are blah.

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
Star Trek 25th Anniversary really had a good feel to it. Space combat was pretty basic, even for the time, but the away missions were very good. If they made one like this, with a good space combat included, I'd definitely play it.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I really enjoyed ST 25th myself. It would be great to have a game like that again, totally agree with that!

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Star Trek The Fallen was a good Star Trek game in terms of ground combat and following lore but future games did not live up to this standard.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Star Trek 25th Anniversary really had a good feel to it. Space combat was pretty basic, even for the time, but the away missions were very good. If they made one like this, with a good space combat included, I'd definitely play it.
25th anniversary was great

considering it was sort of a wing commander / roger wilco type of a game it was fun

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Is it just me or does it sorta look like Mass Effect reskinned?

I was thinking the same thing. That might not be a bad thing. Digital Extremes is developing it. They co-developed the earlier Unreal Tournament series and do a lot of PC porting. Their solo outings (Pariah, Warpath, Dark Sector) only received mixed reviews. Though their most recent solo game, The Darkness II, was well received.

The problem with Trek is it has never really translated will to the action genre. That's not really what Trek is about. It's about adventuring and exploration, not killing everything that moves. Which is why it fit in well with the LucasArts/Sierra style point-and-click adventure genre. 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites were both very good games, because it was like playing out an episode.

Everyone always cites Elite Force and Bridge Commander as being up there. That's really only five hits out of a lot of misses.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Darth Vader says "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Wait, no. I mean, "DO NOT WANT!"

Anything based on the recent movies will be awful.