New Staples paper deal, penny a ream after rebate, limit 4

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Instead of bumping the old thread, I'm creating a new thread for this deal as the terms have changed somewhat.

This week Staples multipurpose paper (sku 513099) is a penny a ream after rebate. There is a limit of four rebates but you have to do each purchase separately (if you go when it isn't crowded and act nice, generally the cashiers will do four sequential purchases for you). Rebate can be done online and is paid by sending you a credit/debit card. Each rebate will be a separate .card, which is a PIA to use up. You need a coupon-can use their mobile app or print from online.

Worth it to me as I use a lot of paper.

As far as I know this is the first time Staples has had the penny reams since they went private earlier this year.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
BTW it's a new deal this week, can do it again if you wish. Maximum of four reams, purchase each separately.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
BTW it's a new deal this week, can do it again if you wish.
Unless they just changed the packaging for all their house-brand paper, all I'm seeing on the current coupon page is what looks like their "second-tier" paper (866957), and for $1 ream?

I'm certainly glad I stocked up heavily on the 1¢ reams and the Hammermill deals over the past 12-18 months, 'cos those deals stopped on the proverbial dime as soon as they were bought... I just wish I'd done the same with their 22-lb bright white paper before they discontinued selling that in-store and the really good deals on it dried up overnight, too ($33/case on sale is a "good" price for that, but not as good as $15.:()

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Unless they just changed the packaging for all their house-brand paper, all I'm seeing on the current coupon page is what looks like their "second-tier" paper (866957), and for $1 ream?

I'm certainly glad I stocked up heavily on the 1¢ reams and the Hammermill deals over the past 12-18 months, 'cos those deals stopped on the proverbial dime as soon as they were bought... I just wish I'd done the same with their 22-lb bright white paper before they discontinued selling that in-store and the really good deals on it dried up overnight, too ($33/case on sale is a "good" price for that, but not as good as $15.:()

The deal changes every week. Staples ad comes out early Sunday AM. And you are right, the deal this week (ending tonight) sucks at $1 per ream after rebate.

There is no second tier paper as such at Staples. If brightness matters to you, Staples multipurpose is 96 and Hammermill and Staples copy paper (red packaging) is 92-slightly duller. My eyes can't really tell the difference unless the sheets are side by side.

Personally I prefer Staples multipurpose, I get slightly fewer jams than with Hammermill and I like brighter paper.

Staples has been changing their packaging a couple of times in the past year, paper unchanged. Go by SKU or name (multipurpose or copy paper).

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
The deal changes every week. Staples ad comes out early Sunday AM. And you are right, the deal this week (ending tonight) sucks at $1 per ream after rebate.

There is no second tier paper as such at Staples. If brightness matters to you, Staples multipurpose is 96 and Hammermill and Staples copy paper (red packaging) is 92-slightly duller. My eyes can't really tell the difference unless the sheets are side by side.

Personally I prefer Staples multipurpose, I get slightly fewer jams than with Hammermill and I like brighter paper.

Staples has been changing their packaging a couple of times in the past year, paper unchanged. Go by SKU or name (multipurpose or copy paper).
I think of their "copy paper" as a second-tier to the "multipurpose". Apart from the brightness, which I think I'd recognize (though I wouldn't swear to it), it just seems slightly less well-finished in general. Though offhand I'm not sure exactly how - maybe a tad less smooth, or at least apparently a little less opaque? I make no claim to any real paper-related or graphics art expertise, but once upon a long time ago I did work at a small office supply place, so I have seen and handled lot of different brands of paper with a pretty wide variety of characteristics and finishes... And I'm one of "those" often annoying people who literally can't help but notice minor "visual incongruities" like typos in the middle of a printed page, even tiny misalignments in printing that normal people consider irrelevant, and... paper quality characteristics.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Penny after rebate paper deal is back this week, after a several week drought. Same deal as before-need coupon (from Staples site), maximum rebates is four but you HAVE to purchase each ream separately, can submit rebate online, rebate in the form of a prepaid credit card.