New SSD and Windows 8 Installation

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by hunyadi, Nov 13, 2012.

1. hunyadi

hunyadi Junior Member

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 on my HDD. I purchased an SSD and want to make it the primary drive. This wouldn't be such an issue had I bought the cd (though that is a waste of money). In order to install the OS I need to log in to Microsoft and download the .exe file. How can I install Win 8 on my the SSD? I saw that I can make a bootable USB drive, but I'd rather just install it directly from Microsoft. Could I install it on the SSD while as a slave drive, then make it the primary drive through BIOS? Also, would I need to clear my HDD, because I want to make it the secondary drive? Thanks.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Windows Installation Forum Date
    How to install IRST 15.2.0.1020/Windows 10 x64 ? Memory and Storage Nov 29, 2016
    RAID0 setup - during windows install or after? Memory and Storage Aug 18, 2016
    When installing a new SSD is it better to fresh install windows or can I copy a image Memory and Storage May 21, 2016
    windows 10 download/installation problem Memory and Storage Oct 5, 2015
    please advise - external hard drive to install Windows 10 Memory and Storage Mar 6, 2015

3. Jman13

Jman13 Senior member

Easiest way is to download the EXE...and then you can create a bootable USB or burn a DVD from the installer. (it's very easy). Reboot, install on your SSD (remove other hard drives to make it easier...I did this for Win 7, and didn't for Win 8, and had fun wrangling boot stuff for a while)...and you'll be done very quickly.

4. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

The normal download of OS files from Microsoft is in ISO format. From that, you can create a DVD, or even bootable flash media. If you have SATA drives, remember that the old Master/Slave choices no longer exist. SATA drives are numbered, and anyone of them can be designated as boot drive.