NEW SSD and OS install- program installs hanging

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I have worked some with SSD's in the past, but recently purchased a INTEL X25 80G for my own machine. Its a fresh install of win7 on all new hardware. 2600K, Gigabyte p67UD4 system ram is 8Gb (side note, nothing is on the SATA II ports) Not OC'ed (yet!) Everything is peachy except....

When I install stuff such as LIVE games For windows (no cracks from the peanut gallery) or VUZE, or anything where the installer is a fair size my install will go but just sorta die in 3/4 area (larger install.exe will stall sooner. Small installs all work (winrar, realtemp etc).

I did manualy change my page file to 1 to 4 megs. This is the only thing i have really done besides moving my folder to anotehr drive (video,music, my docs, etc) and installing all programs in the D drive instead of the C drive.

I'm kinda stumped as evertying works fine, no crashs in games, anything, open up 10 webpages of flash... etc.. I cant make the machine hicup anyplace but on installs. Run a bunch of DIVX of video files.. no issues, just seems to hang on installs

I installed VUSE it hung at 3/4 i canceled it and rretried it and installed, same with LIVE and Trillian.

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe i just had a bad day... all will be well tonight when I get home.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Let the system manage the pagefile itself and see what happens.

hehe something I should have done, I was just suprised it "possibly" could be the problem. Im an IT guy but not completly up and up on that type of stuff, basic knowledge but that it. I will be trying it tonight and seeing if it changes stuff.

I did the page file change as several SSD Tweeking stories mention it.. For my use I would probebly never notice it one way or another.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
whats eventvwr showing?

funny how you sorta forget the basics when you work on your own machine.. Another good suggestion. Im the the tech guy who has a VCR (ok blue ray player) that blinks 12:00 forever, have never set my DVR up correctly and my backup PC is hosed and I dont wanna look at it...

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Swapping windows back to managing the page file automaticly fixed it.. Guess those ZiffDavis help on SSD stories are not so good.. live and learn.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
ok jumped the gun, page file managed by windows again has not fixed my issues. Still the same.