New spy shots of new C6 corvette! + Video

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Looks too much like the Caddy IMO :(

No kidding. Who let the Cadillac designer into the Corvette shop. They should be shot. This isn't the way that a Corvette is supposed to look. We were finally getting back to the original smooth lines and now this shows up.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Originally posted by: paruhd0x
h8 Chevy ><
So you hate $50,000 Z06's that absoultely dominate cars that are priced much more than they are? I loved a quote from last month's car and driver that I read. They were doing comparisons of modded Integras, S2000s, Civics, etc. They said something like "The cheapest car in the bunch was about $80,000.. yet noe of them came close to beating the $50,000 Z06 around the track by any less than a second."

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001

Isn't the new caddy built on the same platform? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Anyways I do agree with you, and personally don't like it. Oh well, I'm sure they'll sell like crazy and everyone will love them.

The C5 is a beautiful car IMHO, although a bit too big with a kinda "disappointing" interior.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Cfour
h8 Chevy ><

So you hate $50,000 Z06's that absoultely dominate cars that are priced much more than they are?

umm... I'm pretty sure a Mini Cooper S would DESTROY a z06 on an autocross course (especially a tight one). At the racetrack I imagine a $30k Lotus Elise would give it a good run for it's money. It may do pretty well at the dragstrip though.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Originally posted by: Scootin159

Isn't the new caddy built on the same platform? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Anyways I do agree with you, and personally don't like it. Oh well, I'm sure they'll sell like crazy and everyone will love them.

The C5 is a beautiful car IMHO, although a bit too big with a kinda "disappointing" interior.

Yup, the new caddy is built of the C6's platform.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
h8 Chevy ><

So you hate $50,000 Z06's that absoultely dominate cars that are priced much more than they are?

umm... I'm pretty sure a Mini Cooper S would DESTROY a z06 on an autocross course (especially a tight one). At the racetrack I imagine a $30k Lotus Elise would give it a good run for it's money. It may do pretty well at the dragstrip though.

Wahahahah! Does anyone see this? He's claiming a Mini Cooper S would destroy a Z06. Bahahahha! Dood, it wouldn't even come close to beating it.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
h8 Chevy ><

Wahahahah! Does anyone see this? He's claiming a Mini Cooper S would destroy a Z06. Bahahahha! Dood, it wouldn't even come close to beating it.

Ever try fitting a Z06 through an autocross course? That's a mighty big car to try and turn in such a small area. Remember Horsepower means little in such a venue (well it does play a factor, but not as much as handling). In most cases upgrading the brakes will improve your times more than upgrading horsepower. Sure the Z06 probably has 2x (or close to it) of a CooperS, but if I remember right the Mini has like the highest slolom speed ever. I know the Z06 can get pretty good grip, but that's more a matter of it's huge tires than good handling. Not to put the Z06 down...it's really a pretty nice car, but it's not the be-all-end-all at the track. I'd be willing to bet even a measley Miata could hang pretty well with a Z06 in a tight autox course.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
h8 Chevy ><

There is a huge weight difference between the CooperS and the Z06, and autocross isn't setup to show off the power of a car, it's setup to show the handling capabilities of the car. It would be an interesting run, nevertheless.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
h8 Chevy ><

Ever try fitting a Z06 through an autocross course? That's a mighty big car to try and turn in such a small area. Remember Horsepower means little in such a venue (well it does play a factor, but not as much as handling). In most cases upgrading the brakes will improve your times more than upgrading horsepower. Sure the Z06 probably has 2x (or close to it) of a CooperS, but if I remember right the Mini has like the highest slolom speed ever. I know the Z06 can get pretty good grip, but that's more a matter of it's huge tires than good handling. Not to put the Z06 down...it's really a pretty nice car, but it's not the be-all-end-all at the track. I'd be willing to bet even a measley Miata could hang pretty well with a Z06 in a tight autox course.

SCCA Results:

Look at course #1:

Best Z06 time: 59.149 Z06 Link
Best Miata time: 52.484 Miata Link

Looks like the Miata came out pretty well on top there

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Magazines pull off anywehre from .98 - 1.00 Gs off of a Z06.

Mni Cooper S pulls .87 Gs on the skidpad.

Not even mentioning the fact that the Z06 will sickly outrun a Cooper, it handles better than it, too. I can't believe you guys are even entertaining the thought of a Z06 vs. a Cooper or even a Miata. How sad...

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
I even remember reading that the Mazdaspeed protoge and the MP3 are superbly handling cars. Very fast in the slalom, as stated by Car and Driver a while back. They are sedans to boot.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Thats one ugly corvette. And to think they are so smooth and elegant now. But such is the move towards "edgier" designs. The viper is blocky, the gallardo is too, now they've done it to the vette.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001

Not even mentioning the fact that the Z06 will sickly outrun a Cooper, it handles better than it, too. I can't believe you guys are even entertaining the thought of a Z06 vs. a Cooper or even a Miata. How sad...

Skidpad isn't everything. That just shows the ultimate grip of a car, or moreso the tires.

The Z06 has more power, can't really argue that. Looks great IMHO (on the outside at least), but it's still not going to destroy everything out there under $50k.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com

Not only do those links not specify if those cars are modified or not, you were comparing a stock miata and cooper to a z06. Not once did you metion modifications.

edit: Since they are different classes.. how do we even know if they were run on the same track setup? Or if the weather was same (they may have ran on different days). The top of the page says Sept. 9-12.. that is reason enough to think that they were ran on different days.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001

Not only do those links not specify if those cars are modified or not, you were comparing a stock miata and cooper to a z06. Not once did you metion modifications.

That's stock class. They're pretty strict there. Sometimes (not always) even changing the air filter will get ya bumped up.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001

Lateral grip is one thing, but it isn't the sole determiner of whether a car handles better than another. The Z06 may have a tremendous lateral grip advantage over the CooperS or the Miata and whatnot, but, the reason the Miata pulled a better time in the SCCA autocross is, I'm betting, due to its lighter weight. The lighter a car, the faster it can enter corners.

Now, on a roadcourse with some decent straights, the raw power of the Z06 would show itself againt the Miata or the CooperS.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Originally posted by: TechnoKid

Lateral grip is one thing, but it isn't the sole determiner of whether a car handles better than another. The Z06 may have a tremendous lateral grip advantage over the CooperS or the Miata and whatnot, but, the reason the Miata pulled a better time in the SCCA autocross is, I'm betting, due to its lighter weight. The lighter a car, the faster it can enter corners.

Now, on a roadcourse with some decent straights, the raw power of the Z06 would show itself againt the Miata or the CooperS.

It would have to be a VERY VERY tight course for those cars to hang ww/ a Z06.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: TechnoKid

I agree. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you were to put a z06 motor into a miata. Probably doesn't fit (although possible, I know an LT1 will fit in the engine bay of my 4cylinder car), but shouldn't add more than a couple hundred pounds at most (which could be easily tuned out in the suspension). Wish they made cars like that :).

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Anyways, this thread is about the C6, not the Z06....

Any idea as to it's performance yet? Probably very similar to the Caddy as it's from the same platform. Any idea on engine specs? Weight?

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Anyways, this thread is about the C6, not the Z06....

Any idea as to it's performance yet? Probably very similar to the Caddy as it's from the same platform. Any idea on engine specs? Weight?

Supposed to be lighter than the C5, and will base with the LS6 motor (or another variant pushing around 405hp). A Z06 version is supposed to follow the year after with close to 500hp.

The Caddy uses the Northstar in the XLR. Totally different engine.