New small form factor

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by skaertus, Oct 3, 2017.

1. skaertus

skaertus Member

I am thinking of a small form factor desktop and the first choice would be of course the Mac Mini.

As it cannot be upgraded later, I thought of the intermediate model, with a Core i5-4278U 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a 1 TB HDD. However, I can see Apple has not updated it in the last three years, and it is seriously outdated.

An alternative would be the HP Prodesk 400 Desktop Mini, which ships with a Core i5-7500T 2.7 GHz, 4 GB RAM, and a 500 GB HDD, and Windows 10 Pro. This one would be about 25%-30% cheaper than the Mac mini (please note that I am not buying the laptop in the U.S., so it would be worthless any recommendations of stores with a better price). However, it comes with less RAM and storage (which can of course be upgraded).

Which would be more worth it? Thanks for the help.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - small form factor Forum Date
    Designing a new small form factor, Mini-ITX case. We need your suggestions SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 3, 2015
    Small Form Factor Help... SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jul 24, 2011
    High resolution small form factor latop? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jan 5, 2010
    Small Form Factor Gaming PC SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Dec 6, 2009
    Small Form Factor PC For Gaming SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Feb 18, 2009

3. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

since the processor is unupgradeable and since neither comes with an SSD, the HP is my choice. swap in an SSD and a second stick of ram and that thing is golden.

4. you2

you2 Diamond Member

Are you bound to mac-os? If not and you like that sort of interface I would go with a nuc which is 1/4 the size and can run linux.

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

If you value design, built quality, and the Mac Mini form-factor I'd definately go for the HP Slice

6. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Diamond Member

7. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

The problem with the Mac Mini is Apple has gone too many years without updating it. Maybe they'll finally make a new Coffee Lake mini next year.

For Windows, I'm waiting for MSI to release the Cubi 3 Silent models they announced recently, though just to use for a music jukebox if they are good.

8. you2

you2 Diamond Member

I would wait for the new processor at this point since the low power units are 4 cores instead of 2 (like wise for laptops).