New Signature Rule, error?

Discussion in 'Personal Forum Issues' started by Jaskalas, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Jaskalas

Jaskalas Lifer

First off, they suck. :p

Second, that's because my 3 line signature is "too many lines". See, I tried to save a simple format update to my current sig but got rejected. By your own new rules I'm only using "5" lines.

I must assume there's something wrong, making it a personal issue with the forums! :colbert:

2. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Administrator<br>Elite Member<br>Lifer
    Administrator

I count seven lines in your current signature.

Note:
    KT

3. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Your sig is 7 lines.

Mursillis
    <blank>
    Ironwing
    Ironwing (cont)
    Ironwing (cont2)
    <blank>
    Greenspan

You need to either ditch some of the blank lines or shorten the Ironwing quote so that it doesn't require two linebreaks.

4. allisolm

allisolm Administrator<br>Elite Member
    Administrator

4) Maximum line length is 90 characters.

I think link characters and font/size/color etc. instructions are included in line length. Not sure, though.

edit: The word I got is that "The line limit should include text not including BB code markup." Hope that helps.

edit: New answer. The line limit does include BB code markup. What can I say?

Space reserved for future answers.

#4 allisolm, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Jaskalas

Jaskalas Lifer

The Ironwing line counts as 3? Yikes... at worst I had imagined it split in 2. Suppose browsing on a 1080 resolution makes me lose perspective on just how long that line is.

Thanks guys... this clears it up.

#5 Jaskalas, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  6. Ken g6

Ken g6 Programming Moderator, Elite Member

I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. What has me confused is link counts: Jaskalas, for instance, has three links, but the announcement says " 5) Members will be allowed two short, simple, self-promotion links." Is that in conflict, or are not all links "self-promotion links"?

Not to mention KeithTalent's 9 lines with 4 links...

7. ViRGE

Not all links are self-promotion links. Basically that rule exists so that we don't have members whoring out their entire sigs.

8. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

the 90 char limit is total BS BTW

mine now fits into 2 line yet is something like 200 chars when you look at the code for the links and such in the editor

9. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

i'm also getting the following error:

here is my new proposed signature:
    as far as i can tell i've adhered to all the new rules, so what gives?

1) i have 6 single spaced lines
    2) text size is set to the default of 2
    3) i know the shortened URL's are not the problem, b/c when i change them to their exact full-length URL's (which are both less than 90 characters long), i still get the "text wrap" error mentioned above
    4) all lines are 90 characters or less
    5) contains 2 links, no more

either i'm missing something (that hopefully someone can point out), or the implicit text wrapping is causing the problem since the most characters that will fit on one line in the signature edit box is something like 53 characters...that's a far cry from the supposed 90 allowed characters.

10. olds

olds Elite Member

I count 11 lines in your sig

11. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

could you elaborate on that? b/c i only see 6 lines...

12. KeithTalent

Administrator

I count 11 as well, most likely due to the part you quoted:
    also I count 105 characters in your first line, so there is that.

KT

13. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

well that would be an error on AT's part, would it not? what's the point of allowing up to 90 characters per line if our text is going to get implicitly wrapped before a single line of text ever reaches the full allotment of 90 characters? that doesn't even make sense as a limitation, seeing as how the text box for editing signatures doesn't take up the full width of the average display, let alone those running an older display w/ limited pixel resolution.

interesting - when i cut-n-paste it into MS Word and use the word count tool, it says i only have 85 characters in that first line (spaces included). in fact, my longest line of text (line 3 in my above proposed signature) is the only one that uses all 90 allowed characters, again, according to the word count tool in MS Word. i'm pretty sure simple addition isn't beyond either of us, so what gives? am i not accounting for invisible characters or something?

14. olds

olds Elite Member

15. KeithTalent

Administrator

Edit: my bad, pasted the wrong one, It does count as 85

Not that hard dude, just trim it down. I did it and everyone else is going to have to do it too. My guess is it is still the auto-trimming; not AT's fault, more likely VB's fault.

KT

#15 KeithTalent, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  16. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

well that's my current sig, not the revised proposed sig from a few posts up. regardless, thank you for clarifying the line count thingy...i still think its quite misleading to say that up to 90 characters can be used per line of text, when clearly 90 characters will not fit on one line of text in the signature edit box...not even if you switch from the default size 2 front to size 1.

17. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

i know, i know...its just a little irritating. and i don't mean to point fingers (you're probably right - its probably more of a VB issue than it is an AT issue). but due to this VB issue of implicit text wrapping, the longest single line of text allowed in my proposed sig as it stands is 49 characters...well short of the supposed 90 allowed characters, wouldn't you say? if they just made the compliance rules match what we are actually able to do with signatures, i wouldn't have a complaint in the first place. but when they tell us we can have up to 90 characters per line, and in reality its actually closer to half that, it's bound to raise some eyebrows...even when i switch to a size 1 font, the most characters i can get on a single line of text is 58...still well short of the supposed 90 allowed characters.

18. olds

olds Elite Member

It's probably the formatting but I count 14 lines in your proposed sig.

19. ViRGE

1) {SIZE=2}Rig 1: X6 1090T, Hyper 212+, MSI 790FX-GD70, 2 x GTX 560 Ti, SeaSonic X-750, Win7 x64
    2) Rig 2: X6 1090T, Hyper 212 EVO, ASUS M4A89GTD, 2 x HD 6950, SeaSonic X-750, Win7 x64
    3) Rig 3: X4 1055T, Hyper 212+, GA-890GPA-UD3H, HD 7950, GTX 560 Ti, SeaSonic X-650, Win7 x64
    4) {FONT=Verdana}Rig 4: X4 1055T, Hyper 212+, MSI 890GXM-G65, 2 x HD 6670, SeaSonic S12II 620, Win7 x64{/FONT}{/SIZE}
    5) {URL="http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_61864.gif"}{B}BOINCstats{/B}{/URL}
    6) {B}{URL="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=74007"}Heat (26-0-0){/URL}{/B}

Note: All spaces count. Markup tags also count.

1) 94 characters
    2) 87 characters
    3) 93 characters
    4) 115 characters
    5) 82 characters
    6) 76 characters

#19 ViRGE, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  20. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

well i finally got one to work (see sig)...and despite the text getting implicitly wrapped in the text box, the error message didn't show up this time around. it seems kinda like debugging programming language or a failed/invalid distributed computing task - sometimes the error message points you in the right direction, and sometimes it completely misleads you LOL...at any rate, thanks to all of you for your time and effort.

21. Baked

Baked Lifer

People getting upset over the limitation of characters in sig makes me laugh. It's just like managing my employees. Except this is so much easier. You don't like it, but it's still gonna happen.

22. olds

olds Elite Member

This isn't the nef thread.

23. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

this all wouldn't even be an issue, if they allowed the user preference to disable viewing sigs. then the users that didn't want to see them wouldn't have to.

24. KeithTalent

Administrator

That option is available to anyone in the cp.

KT

25. Tegeril

Tegeril Platinum Member

Consistent failure of an argument despite the fact that it's already an option. The signatures people don't want to see are the ones that would otherwise violate this rule. Removing all signatures to hide a couple is :(