New shoes shock me at every turn

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: scott916
I got a new pair of dress shoes with a fairly thick rubber sole. If I take 10-20 freakin steps across carpet, every damn piece of metal I touch gives me a visible, loud shock. My car door shocked me so badly when I closed it that it made my teeth clench involuntarily. Any ideas?

You are a wuss ?

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: BigJelly
You think that's bad, I had a sink fire at work yesterday because of static. Used the acetone spigot to fill a poly bucket and when the poly bucket had ca. 4-5L in it, it just burst into flames with the spigot still on. Quickly shut it off and then scooped lime on it and it was out within a couple of seconds. So my first, and hopefully only, sink fire wasn't really my fault.

So be happy you just get shocked, I was happy I didn't crap my pants let alone burn the place down--that's why they have everyone, chemists/chemical operators, go through fire training. Just another fun day as a chemist.

You have a sink with an acetone spigot ? That is complete-and-utter awesomeness.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: joesmoke
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Try picking up your feet when you walk.
For the car door thing try touching the car first with your whole forearm... by disapating the charge over a larger area you won't feel it...
Top 10 Things That Sound Like They Work But Don't

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Howard
For the car door thing try touching the car first with your whole forearm... by disapating the charge over a larger area you won't feel it...

can I subscribe to your newsletter?

joesmoke

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2007

won't it? id like to hear your reasoning (genuine curiosity). i had the same problem, but it was due to a wiring problem in my old beater truck. everytime i opened the door with my hand, it would shock me. the forearm trick worked every time. maybe the nerves in the forearm just arn't as sensitive?

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

That totally works, I used to do it alot with this one TV that produced uber static for some reason, you could get serious arcs >1cm in length off that thing and it hurt quite a bit then they were comming off your finger, but you couldn't feal it at all if you used a key.

EDIT: and FWIW they deffinitely do make ground strips for shoes, they use them in places wehre they work on sensitive electronics that can be destroyed by ESD

Jun 19, 2004
Cordless anti-static wrist strap maybe?

Also, we spray our tech room floor with fabric softner when this becomes a problem. Obviously you could spray in front of you everywhere you walk but I imagine that'd get old quick.

Maybe the fabric softner sprayed in your shoes will help, or even a dryer sheet in your socks....at least you'll smell good.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Friction isn't necessary for static charges - static charges are from contact and separation. Rubbing your shoes on the carpet merely increases the amount of contact and separation, but walking normally still won't eliminate the build up of static charge.

Suggestion: replace your socks with anti-static bags.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
The DVD player my grandparents overseas have shocks the shit out of me. Pushing any buttons on the unit causes a spark between me and the hole around the button. Annoying.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
put a garbage bag around your entire body. walk around for 3 hours to build up an enormous charge. then take the garbage bag off and you should be able to shoot lightning bolts.