New shoes shock me at every turn

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
I got a new pair of dress shoes with a fairly thick rubber sole. If I take 10-20 freakin steps across carpet, every damn piece of metal I touch gives me a visible, loud shock. My car door shocked me so badly when I closed it that it made my teeth clench involuntarily. Any ideas?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: scott916
I got a new pair of dress shoes with a fairly thick rubber sole. If I take 10-20 freakin steps across carpet, every damn piece of metal I touch gives me a visible, loud shock. My car door shocked me so badly when I closed it that it made my teeth clench involuntarily. Any ideas?

ground yourself before you touch the car door. (if exiting the car, touch the door before you put your foot to the ground.)

Feb 6, 2007
Instead of touching the metal directly with your hand, hold a key and touch that to the metal. You won't notice a shock. I don't know if this actually works, but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Or you could wear rubber gloves. That'd make you cool...

But seriously, you shouldn't be dragging your feet to the point where you amass a static charge strong enough to hurt you. Lift your damn feet when you walk.

joesmoke

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2007
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Try picking up your feet when you walk.

Couldn't hurt.

For the car door thing try touching the car first with your whole forearm... by disapating the charge over a larger area you won't feel it...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Those shoes are +3 to intimidate. You can threaten to shock the shit out of your co-workers if they don't go your way in meetings.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
try taking a dryer sheet and rub the sole of the shoes. That should hopefully help your shoe drain static.

maxster

Banned
Sep 19, 2007
Originally posted by: ja1484

Those shoes are +3 to intimidate. You can threaten to shock the shit out of your co-workers if they don't go your way in meetings.

hahah

Pwned.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
You think that's bad, I had a sink fire at work yesterday because of static. Used the acetone spigot to fill a poly bucket and when the poly bucket had ca. 4-5L in it, it just burst into flames with the spigot still on. Quickly shut it off and then scooped lime on it and it was out within a couple of seconds. So my first, and hopefully only, sink fire wasn't really my fault.

So be happy you just get shocked, I was happy I didn't crap my pants let alone burn the place down--that's why they have everyone, chemists/chemical operators, go through fire training. Just another fun day as a chemist.