new shirt creases

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I have a new dress shirt that I'm trying to iron, but the creases from being folded up just won't go away. I don't wanna leave the iron on too long in fear of burning the shirt. It's in the dryer now with a damp cloth to try and straighten some of them out, but it's not helping too much (been on Perm Press for 10 minutes so far).. Any secrets to getting new shirt creases out? Just wash it and be done with the thing?

Just in case I can't get it ironed, I have another shirt in the washing machine to wear for my interview in 2 hours (the new one is blue, washing a white one).

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I always get my dress shirts drycleaned after I buy them, before I wear them for the first time, but that's just me...my roomate thinks its weird, but I like my dress shirts to look nice.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
After a few more minutes in the dry and another attempt at ironing, I'm convinced that I need to take it to get drycleaned. I'm glad I started washing that other shirt! Should be out of the washer in five minutes, a few minutes in the dryer to get some of the big wrinkles out, and then to my ironing board!

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
What you can do, for future reference is hang them up when you are in the shower. The steam helps with wrinkles, creases may not be taken out. I dry-cleaned the shirt I got for christmas b/c of the creases. :frown:

late.

TDP

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I've heard that shower trick before, but it's never worked for me. Maybe I need to take 30 minute showers. My bathroom just doesn't get very steamy.

Besides, I like razor sharp creases on the arms. I'm pretty anal about ironning my shirts. I won't give up until everything is perfect, even the back -- doesn't matter that I'm about to drive 30 minutes and it'll get messed up anyways. The pocket needs to be perfectly flat, the neck free of wrinkles, etc etc. Sometimes it takes me 30 minutes to iron a shirt..

Don't get me started on tieing a tie ;)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
You would do well in the Military.

Ironing other guys uniforms can make you big bucks :D

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Hehe.. I was in ROTC for two years, I think that's where I picked up my anal retentive habits. I refused to get my shirts drycleaned then, because I would just have to iron them again to make em look good :) I even wore shirt garters to keep my shirt flat against my body, like another layer of skin, to keep em looking good.

The day before I'd have to wear my uniform, I'd iron the shirt to just the way I want it to look, and then soak it with starch and hang it up so it hardens. They'd always come out lookin perfect.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Buy a better iron. :D I've never had trouble getting out wrinkles with a decent iron with a steam setting. Just add water.

If that doesn't work, SOAK the wrinkles with a sponge or something, then steam iron it dry.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
They're probably especially stubborn because of all the "new shirt" chemicals that remain. I always wash clothes before I wear them the first time. Those new shirts feel too stiff and starchy--it's got to be some sort of chemical residue.

l2c

P.S. Good luck in your interview!