New SFF build for arcade project help needed

mikeweit

May 8, 2011
Hey guys and gal(s),

I've been using anandtech for like 7 years just never thought to make a username lol. I'm weird like that with the internet I guess.

I'm building a very small arcade machine out of an arcade controller I have gutted and the unit is big enough for a netbook or similar Mini/pico itx board. I've been out of the mini/pico sff stuff for about 3 years now since i bought my first netbook (msi wind u100). I run osx on there and love it. the little dude has been chugging along all these years and I use him on trips, most recently a backpacking trip through East africa and kilimanjaro (which he survived sans some new artic silver compound needed to prevent overheating post return).

Anyways,

I was going to pull the trigger on some simple atom dual core combo board for under 100 bucks and be done with it, but I remember there are supposed issues still with the on board graphics pairing offerings from intel and displaying 1080p flash and whatnot. I don't know if this is still the case but I began doing some basic research into the new AMD offerings, which seem promising.

Again I'd definitely need something within the following:
1. Cheaper than $150
2. Passively cooled or really quiet
3. mini or pico itx
4. dual core or 64 bit if possible (mame can utilize these additions)

I'd appreciate anyone's help here, and to give you a better idea of the plan, here's my thread of what i want to use this little system for:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=111501.0

Jimmah

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2005
That board looks pretty solid, love the features and such, kinda want one myself.

If you have spare bits or can acquire some cheap 775/ddr2 jazz Zotac makes a decent m-itx board for about 50$, Geforce 7050 2x ddr2 quad core cpu support. Not bad, I have one in a server, should be fine for MAME.

mikeweit

May 8, 2011
here's my main concern, Heat issues.

naomi&

It's going to be cramped in that case with limited airflow, i think i'd need to put a fan on the side of the case to blow air out. Should i focus on passive cooling?

bart1975

Apr 12, 2011
You could get a passive cooled board and add a quiet 80mm system fan if needed. You might also be able to under volt the cpu to reduce heat issues.

mikeweit

May 8, 2011
holy moly!

i just read this:

AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics

StreetFighter IV Benchmark
1280 X 720 => 30.07 FPS
with that amd chipset, that's a cool bonus, i can play streetfighter iv with one of these. Now i just need to learn how to play arcade games!

Hey fellas thanks a ton for the quick responses and I will keep you up to date with what i go with