New SETI Notice

LANMAN

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
SETI@home: SETI@home hibernation
On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.

If you're currently running SETI@home on your computer, we encourage you to attach to other BOINC-based projects as well. Or use Science United and sign up to do astronomy. You can stay attached to SETI@home, of course, but you won't get any jobs until we find new applications.

We're extremely grateful to all of our volunteers for supporting us in many ways during the past 20 years. Without you there would be no SETI@home. We're excited to finish up our original science project, and we look forward to what comes next.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
:mad: Have a 2080ti, 1080ti, 1080, 1070ti all at good prices...……..

Just shut down Seti for the last time 3/2/2020

Last edited:

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
SETI@home member since22 May 1999

Tis sad. :(
The one that started it all is going by the wayside.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
What time UTC will they stop sending tasks? Are you sure it won't be April 1st at SETI headquarters in the local time zone? Tis hard to believe. :confused:

Reactions: Wiz

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Perhaps TAC should send out a bulk message to all of our SETI members via the messaging function of the SETI site, reminding them there are other projects to consider running under BOINC, and link to our forum. Many of our SETI members likely are not aware of our existence, or the existence of other projects.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Whoa, this is sad. SETI is the reason why I get into DC. But knowing there's no major breakthrough i.e. Extraterrestrial Intelligence, I don't really mind if they halt the effort. I hope they will find new method to find the little green man.
This probably will be the end of annual SETI WOW! Event.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Glad I jumped into that last WOW event. While I did not participate 100% of the time it was always there in the background. I never really considered it would go away, and am sorry to see it go.
RIP

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Perhaps TAC should send out a bulk message to all of our SETI members via the messaging function of the SETI site, reminding them there are other projects to consider running under BOINC, and link to our forum. Many of our SETI members likely are not aware of our existence, or the existence of other projects.
TAC doesn't run the SETI site. @Smoke and @Wiz do.

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
F@H ? WCG ? Rosetts@home ?
We'll see what happens. I've jumped on other things for races and things. I'm actually going to use the time to take the 4 main machines I've been running forever off the rack and onto the work bench for the first time in years, clean then thoroughly and maybe swap some components around, maybe even sell some of them. I've used Seti over the years to stress test new builds as my hobby is reviving older computers and making them useable. I'm sure I'll run something, but I'm 61, retired and not looking for a new hobby.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
We'll see what happens. I've jumped on other things for races and things. I'm actually going to use the time to take the 4 main machines I've been running forever off the rack and onto the work bench for the first time in years, clean then thoroughly and maybe swap some components around, maybe even sell some of them. I've used Seti over the years to stress test new builds as my hobby is reviving older computers and making them useable. I'm sure I'll run something, but I'm 61, retired and not looking for a new hobby.
I am 66 and recovering from cancer, so I have a hobby for life. Try and help cure cancer before it kills my son.....

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
I am 66 and recovering from cancer, so I have a hobby for life. Try and help cure cancer before it kills my son.....
Well, maybe I have a reason for a new project. Cancer sucks. Have a first cousin I grew p with in home hospice counting the final days. There's a gene on my dad's side where females born with my last name have all died from cancer. Feel blessed that my daughter, now 34, is the first female (Out of 7 going back 5 generations) that doesn't have the gene). I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1995 after 5 years of neurological ""events" and have soldiered through with the mantra that if I had to have something, there's 5000 things I'd rather not have. My prayers go out to you and let's hope science focuses and discovers a cure

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm sure you'll find a project that interests, you don't have to throw all 4 machines at it either ;).

Re SETI
Wow! Sad to see it going into hibernation, but I guess if they couldn't keep up with the back end analysis it makes sense. Here's hoping they find something, & then give us data for a single star system to focus on! :).
And this happened not longer after I switched my main rig back to SETI regularly, typical! Lol, guess I won't hit 10 million, but at least I managed 20 yrs crunching it :).

Last edited:
Reactions: ao_ika_red and Wiz

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Translation: We found ET and he asked us to stop listening in on his private phone calls... :D

:p

0e5b7fbe2c5cb77dd7a2eedda8bcf98f.jpg

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Anyone else been switching some firepower back to SETI as a last burst? I'm crunching only SETI on my rig atm & GPU crunching with it too, I did run it briefly on my 2nd rig as well, but that uses a lot of juice ;).

Maybe we should have 1 final SETI race? :)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
SETI@home is having serious database performance problems since January. It is unfit for races.

Database performance is so bad that many requests for new tasks fail even though new tasks are still being generated. The scheduler cannot complete the database operations which are necessary to assign new tasks to hosts in time. The underlying problem is with the database size larger than the servers' RAM, and the assimilator not keeping up and making things worse and worse.

File transfers get stuck too.

--------
PS, the culprit is the assimilator, not the Assimilator1. ;-)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ao_ika_red

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Ah of, fair enough, hopefully I can get into TAs top 50 without anyone flying past me then! (Wiz!? ;))

Lol @ PS :D

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
TAC doesn't run the SETI site. @Smoke and @Wiz do.
I missed this earlier, but Smoke retired as founder (last year? - nope, nearly 3yrs ago!), he passed the batton to Wiz, & to me as an admin (whatever that entails! lol).
As per the op, SETI advises that other projects can be run instead, so no need to message anyone? Can messages be sent globally to the team anyway? [edit] Yes I can.
What do you guys reckon?

Last edited: