New Seasonic X650

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
everyone knows a seasonic is a good PSU.

Just that a rebranded seasonic these days is both cheaper and better making the brand name seasonic a not so good deal.

GAO

Dec 10, 2009
everyone knows a seasonic is a good PSU.

Just that a rebranded seasonic these days is both cheaper and better making the brand name seasonic a not so good deal.

I got the new X-850 for $120 (after a $20 rebate). So what ???? And you can get it now for $159 + $20 rebate. I think that beats any of the re-branded PSU of the same quality (or lesser).

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
Hi,

I bought the earlier version of the X650 (SS-650KM) and used it for about a year and a half. Shortly after I bought it began making a slight clicking sound that it shouldn't be making and that lasted for about a week. Then the sound went away and now it has returned. I suspect the sound is being made by a small electrical arc near where the power cord plugs in to the PSU.

I spent almost an entire day looking at prices and trying to figure out what I should buy for a replacement or at least what I would use while my clicky power supply is gone while being RMA'ed. In the end I bought another Seasonic PSU, model SS-650KM. While doing research I noticed that the pictures of the newer X series Gold rated PSU's on Seasonic's website were different than what I had. I saw pictures which suggested the cables may be different now plus there's a little switch to control how the PSU's cooling fan works.

My new SS-650KM arrived and I installed it a couple days ago. What was sent to me is different than what I bought more than a year ago. I think Seasonic should have given it a slightly different model number. At least something like SS-650KMv2. Unfortunately this new PSU is making a high pitched constant hum that I can hear and it is annoying! Its the kind of hum that older adults usually don't hear and kids can hear but for some reason I can hear it.

I contacted Seasonic Support by email about my issues with both of these power supplies but the person who replies doesn't answer my questions. He just tells me to fill out the RMA form. Maybe that is the only solution available but a response like that doesn't impress me. When I contact somebody by email and ask questions because I'm trying to get help with something and instead of answering my questions I get something else- even simply telling me 'I don't know' would be better than not specifically addressing my questions at all- that has become one of my pet peeves.

I'll probably return the new SS-650KM to Newegg even though there's probably nothing wrong with the power it puts out and I'll have to pay the return shipping and restocking fee. D:

I didn't notice anything that seemed to be of lesser quality about the different modular cables. Though I didn't look very closely. At first I was concerned that the ribbon cables would be too stiff but I was able to place them where I wanted them, anyway. The 8 pin CPU power cable that came with the new SS-650KM was slightly longer than the braid sheathed 8 pin CPU power cable that came with the older SS-650KM. That was a plus I thought. At first I was just going to leave the older cables connected and in place in my case and simply swap the PSUs but I quickly discovered that the power cable for the motherboard has a different connector.

Last edited:

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I have the X650 on the way from another $100 NE sale. How long are the new cables. Will I have a problem running the 8 pin power cable behind the motherboard tray on a R-4 case without a extender ?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Shouldn't be a problem in R4, that's not a particularly tall case.

I see they've increased the warranty to 7 years.

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
Just for you I shutdown my computer, pulled out the cables, and checked the lengths of the motherboard and 8-pin power cables. :p The new ribbon style 8-pin cable is 3 1/4 inches longer than the older braid sheathed cable and the new ribbon motherboard cable is 3/4 of an inch longer.

I'm not sure what is the distance that you have to work with in your case but in my Lian Li PC-7FN case I could run the ribbon style 8-pin cable behind the plate that the motherboard is mounted on. The cable would barely reach but I think it would work. Originally when I installed the PSU that came with the braid sheathed style 8-pin cable I wanted to run it behind the plate but it wasn't long enough. I didn't have any luck finding an extension that would match the style of cable.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The EPS cable is longer now? Nice. I had no trouble routing the old EPS cable in my Define R3, so the new cable will definitely be easy to route in R4. And of course it's less bulky too which is nice.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Cool thanks. I was worried since I had to use a extender on my backup machine with the Seasonic G550.

GAO

Dec 10, 2009
The EPS cable is longer now? Nice. I had no trouble routing the old EPS cable in my Define R3, so the new cable will definitely be easy to route in R4. And of course it's less bulky too which is nice.

I think Seasonic has addressed criticisms of their previous generation. They have longer cables, more PCI-E power connectors, more SATA power connectors, the ability to turn off the hybrid fanless mode of operation (having no fan running at low temps made some ppl edgy), tighter voltage regulation, and a longer warranty, and a lower price.

The newer versions are officially known as KM3 instead of KM (if you look closely at the supply label, it says KM3 where the 3 is superscript), but the ads for them still say KM.

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
Yup. I didn't see that earlier on my new power supply. I opened my computer's case and looked. There is a tiny little superscript 3 at the end of the model number. Though the older and newer SS-650KM both say Acticve PFC3 after the model number. The 3 on the end of PFC3 kind of increases the chances of confusing the two PSU's, I think.

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
I think Seasonic has addressed criticisms of their previous generation. They have longer cables, more PCI-E power connectors, more SATA power connectors, the ability to turn off the hybrid fanless mode of operation (having no fan running at low temps made some ppl edgy), tighter voltage regulation, and a longer warranty, and a lower price.

The newer versions are officially known as KM3 instead of KM (if you look closely at the supply label, it says KM3 where the 3 is superscript), but the ads for them still say KM.

With 9 posts and this reply you must work for seasonic. Just a guess.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Just for you I shutdown my computer, pulled out the cables, and checked the lengths of the motherboard and 8-pin power cables. :p The new ribbon style 8-pin cable is 3 1/4 inches longer than the older braid sheathed cable and the new ribbon motherboard cable is 3/4 of an inch longer.

I'm not sure what is the distance that you have to work with in your case but in my Lian Li PC-7FN case I could run the ribbon style 8-pin cable behind the plate that the motherboard is mounted on. The cable would barely reach but I think it would work. Originally when I installed the PSU that came with the braid sheathed style 8-pin cable I wanted to run it behind the plate but it wasn't long enough. I didn't have any luck finding an extension that would match the style of cable.

The EPS cable is indeed longer, 650mm compared to 570mm before. That said, I have the same case as you have and had no problem running the EPS cable from my M12II behind the mobo tray, and it's only 550mm (but you need to remove the top cover so you can reach the hole for it).

What I would like to know, are the connectors on these new cables still upside down when the psu is mounted on the bottom of the case?

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
I recently installed a new Seasonic PSU that has the ribbon style power cables. There was one issue that I noticed. The somewhat sharp edges of the interior of the case where the metal was cut can chew away at the plastic, or rubber or whatever the stuff is that was used to cover the wires for the ribbon style power cables, as you're routing the cables through the openings in the metal. A mesh sheath around the wires would have prevented that.

I returned the obnoxiously whiny new SS-650KM³ to Newegg. Luckily shortly after that I was able to get an SS-750KM³ for about the same price as the SS-650KM³ because of a sale and rebate. Unfortunately the 750 whines a little bit, too. It isn't as loud as was the 650 but once it a while I can hear it. I'm not sure what I'll do about it. :\ I was expecting better quality from Seasonic but so far every power supply I've had that was their brand has had some kind of issue.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
wansurfer what's your case? I think most quality cases don't have any e dges sharp enough to cut rubber. Seasonic X650 is pretty high end and as such it's probably intended for use in cases which have rubber grommets lining the cable routing holes (which is not to say that removing those grommets would reveal sharp edges in any quality case).

Disappointing to hear about the km3 whining. I had hoped they had fixed that issue, it was a relatively common complaint for the earlier revision. My X650 (first gen) and X660 are silent

Last edited:

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
I thought my case was of fairly good quality but maybe it isn't. I have a Lian Li PC-7FN. I don't remember there being any rubber grommets in the box that the case came in except there are grommets for the cutouts that would be used to route liquid cooling tubes from inside to the outside. Hehe, I still have the box and there's some stuff in it. I'm kinda a packrat. There's some stuff in the box but I don't remember exactly what. Maybe I should check what's in there.

My earlier SS-650KM (not the KM³) was quiet except for a slight clicking sound that sounded a lot like a small electrical arc. Though, that went away for about a year and only recently started again which caused me to try buying an SS-650KM³ PSU so that I could continue to use my computer while the SS-650KM was being replaced by Seasonic. After buying a new 650 and 750 that have the same problem with a high pitched whine I'm kinda annoyed with Seasonic right now. I thought maybe I should call Seasonic instead of emailing their support department but now I'm getting a "503 - Service Unavailable" error when I try to go to www.seasonicusa.com to get a phone number. :(

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Hm. That should be a high quality case, generally Lian Li's aluminium construction is excellent. Maybe it's to do with the material? I don't think that case comes with rubber grommets, Lian Li's cases usually don't