New Seasonic Platinum 660 - noise on speakers while in sleep mode

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
So I just upgraded from a Seasonic M12-600 to a new Platinum 660 courtesy of the Newegg sale and I've noticed something - When my computer is asleep, if my speakers are still on, they begin to emit a screeching sound that fluctuates in sync with my power LED blinking.

This DEFINITELY did not happen before upgrading from the M12 - I left my speakers on all the time while my computer slept.

A bit of googling didn't really reveal much except a user that had this problem go away after upgrading to a better power supply. I obviously think the Platinum 660 is an upgrade from an old M12, so I'm trying to figure out why it's doing this.

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the new PSU, it's rock solid. 12.01 volts on the 12 volt and 5.05 on the 5 volt with literally zero change from idle to the heaviest load I can give it.

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds similar to coil whine?

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
that sounds similar to coil whine?
Agreed but if he's using a separate AMP a ground wire may kill the static or say EMF cross feed from coil whine (You could place a filter in the wire as well).

If you attribute audio static to coil whine from the PSU - Suggest you RMA the Seasonic Platinum 660 XP2 and buy an XFX 750 Pro BEFX KM3 Full Modular Black Edition with SLI and CF cables included - Same Price.

So far no Coil Whine issues reported, that I know of, with the XFX 750 Pro BEFX KM3 Black Edition PSU - Advertized as Gold but it meets Platinum Specs for Efficiency.

Personally I bought 1 XFX 850W BEFX Black Editions to Power 2 x R9 290Xs with a NewEgg.Ca cost of $120 CDN.

Last edited:

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Grounding did not have any effect. I tested it with headphones instead of the amplifier I have and the result was the same. I also get a noise when the entire computer is shut off.

Sounds like it could be coil whine causing some kind of interference however the audio circuitry is supposed to be isolated on this motherboard to prevent that. Also, there is no audible noise emitted from the power supply itself. I'm contacting MSI about my motherboard first and going from there. I tested it through the front panel audio port and every other audio port on the motherboard and it only comes through the green front L/R jack.

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
PSU Coil Whine Vs EMF Interference - There you have it. The PSU is at Fault.

I'm not so sure - like I said, the power supply doesn't make a single noise while in sleep, off, or on. The only symptom of the problem is the strange sounds coming from the audio port on the motherboard. The audio is silent when the computer is on, and everything I play sounds fine.

Edit: If MSI doesn't have any ideas, I might just RMA and send it back to newegg if I decide I can't live with it. Bah.

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Are you thinking that the EMF NOISE is coming from the MB SND?

What's your MB and Bios your using?

Bios IRQ Addressing Vs Software Drivers can cause Conflicting CRAP.

Last edited:

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Are you thinking that the EMF NOISE is coming from the MB SND?

What's your MB and Bios your using?

Bios IRQ Addressing Vs Software Drivers can cause Conflicting CRAP.

It's an MSI Z87-GD65 gaming motherboard with bios 1.4 - I tried to update the bios (It's up to 1.8 or something now) but couldn't get it to work, I think I'll have to buy a different thumb drive to do it with. I don't necessarily think it's the motherboard's fault as the issue started after I changed power supplies, but I'd like MSI's input on it. Like I said, the audio is supposed to be shielded and isolated from other circuitry so I think it's very odd.

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Flash your MB with latest firmware then strip your OS of Audio drivers, reinstall newest audio drivers - If that don't work RMA the PSU.

In the long run it could be a MSI issue check their forms. It could be a MB BIOS issue.

Last edited: