New Sapphire 7950, minor display corruption?

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
Hey all,

I'm having a display corruption issue with the Sapphire 7950 I picked up recently. Here's the setup:

x2 Soyo Topaz 24'' monitors.
i7 3770k
16 gigs of ram
Antec 650w PSU
Sapphire 7950

When booting or restarting my pc, I'm seeing minor display corruption in Windows 8, starting at the landing page. Colors are corrupted (look 16-bit mode), and there seems to be a yellowish tint. Playing with with Catalyst Control Center monitor settings doesn't seem to fix anything. But, when I power the monitors on and off, the issue seems to fix itself until next reboot. I didn't run into this issue with the previous card I was using.

Does this sound like a defective card? Monitor compatibility issue? Power issue perhaps?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Have you tried different driver versions just to see if that makes a difference?

If not I'd replace the card and see if the next one does the same thing.

You might try a different monitor cable as well if you have one available.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
That sounds like a classic example of a poor connection somehow yes cable sockets. I wouldn't expect the card to be faulty. I've seen it many times. A card where the cable is bad or not plugged in proper the screen turns yellow. Why the reboot would fix it, I dunno, but I would expect a loose connection over a faulty card. Neither underpowering or heat would apply either in this case imo. :)

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
That sounds like a classic example of a poor connection somehow yes cable sockets. I wouldn't expect the card to be faulty. I've seen it many times. A card where the cable is bad or not plugged in proper the screen turns yellow. Why the reboot would fix it, I dunno, but I would expect a loose connection over a faulty card. Neither underpowering or heat would apply either in this case imo. :)

Thanks for the response. I reseated the card, replugged in the connections. Still seeing the same issue.

What's strange is the problem seems to go away instantly when I turn my monitor off and on.

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009
I think I have the same issue with my card. It manifests itself differently due to my monitor though. Whenever it boots up, my monitor will loop and display frequency out of range until I turn it off then on again. It's been a minor inconvience for me so I didn't really look into it. There is definitely something weird with the output I'm guessing.

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
I think I have the same issue with my card. It manifests itself differently due to my monitor though. Whenever it boots up, my monitor will loop and display frequency out of range until I turn it off then on again. It's been a minor inconvience for me so I didn't really look into it. There is definitely something weird with the output I'm guessing.

What type of monitor do you have? Mine are pretty old; I was wondering if they might be the culprit.

Either way, I'm going to return this card to amazon and try another variant. I'll report back with my results.

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009
I don't think its the monitor since they worked perfectly with a few different cards. I have a dell 24" from 2007. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the bios on these cards. I really wish I can flash a new one on it. Wacky performance profiles and severely overvolted card... damn it ATI.

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
I don't think its the monitor since they worked perfectly with a few different cards. I have a dell 24" from 2007. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the bios on these cards. I really wish I can flash a new one on it. Wacky performance profiles and severely overvolted card... damn it ATI.

Yeah, I realize now that we have the same card I think:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Burpy

Oct 16, 2005
I have experienced this recently.

Do you have the Intel iGPU enabled? I have my 6950 running my main display & the iGPU running my HDTV.
I had to install the iGPU driver first and uninstall and reinstall the AMD drivers for the desktop corruption to stop on initial boot-up.

Note: I also noticed that uninstalling intel iGPU drivers doesn't work correctly. My system still had iGPU services running and most likely left over drivers.
This can also be a source of the corruption.

Last edited: