New Samsung 840 Pro FIRMWARE is out

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Samsung says there's a new version of Magician coming out end of next monh that will fix the bootable USB/CD jacked up screen nonsense, FYI.

Franzi

Nov 18, 2012
Would be nice if they offer the bootable images without having to install the Magician software. I uninstalled current version 3.2 right after the Firmware update, don't see any usefulness of this software on Windows 7/8.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Has anybody gotten the bootable USB / CDs to work correctly. Including myself, multiple reports of a blurry unreadable blue screen (not BSOD) with jibberish upon boot.
I had the same problem the last time I tried to secure erase my 830.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
I had the same problem the last time I tried to secure erase my 830.
IIRC There was a problem with nvidia GFX + Samsung bootable updater or secure erase tool. I don't know whether the problem has been fixed in updated versions of the tools, but I have used the firmware update ISO on multiple platforms multiple times along with the secure erase ISO and I have never once had an issue.

I don't own an 840 Pro yet but when I acquire one I'll be avoiding updating it via Magician and will wait for a bootable ISO with the latest firmware on. I don't believe in Windows based firmware flashing lol

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
Confirmed on my set up. If I use BIOS I have no problem running a SE with the Magician (although I need to re-power). If I use UEFI I can't run a SE. P8Z68-V

AbRASiON

Oct 10, 1999
Is there anything newer than DXM04B0Q? I'm having odd issues with both systems with an 840 Pro in it and their website is a bit of a mess.

GAO

Dec 10, 2009
No that is the latest.

If you register your product and create an account on their site it is pretty straightforward to find firmware.

Alternatively you could use the Samsung SSD Magician software to check for firmware updates.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Geesh, I just installed my 840 Pro and now I gotta update it? Nah. I get the same numbers everyone else is getting - fast as stink. Think I'll pass.

GAO

Dec 10, 2009
This thread was started in December. You probably already have the latest firmware.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Geesh, I just installed my 840 Pro and now I gotta update it? Nah. I get the same numbers everyone else is getting - fast as stink. Think I'll pass.
If you enjoy SSD's that attitude will get you burned one day. Just as m4 owners who didn't update and got nailed by the 5000 hour bug. Just because they put "dirty drive performance increase" as the official list of fixes doesn't mean that's all they did.

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
Confirmed on my set up. If I use BIOS I have no problem running a SE with the Magician (although I need to re-power). If I use UEFI I can't run a SE. P8Z68-V

I have a UEFI BIOS. Have to switch to integrated graphics in the BIOS, plug monitor into that port, re-boot, run secure erase, re-boot, go back into the BIOS and switch it back. PITA, but it works.