New ryzen CPU and motherboard won't power on

dabench

Sep 23, 2004
I finally got my new ryzen CPU today and after installing everything nothing happens when I press the power button. The only thing I replaced was the CPU, mono, and ram and rider everything else so I know those components are good. The motherboard lights do turn on when the power is plugged in but nothing happens when I press the power button. I've tripled checkedthat the 8 pin and 24 pin power supply cables are connected to the motherboard. I've also tripled checked to make sure the power switch connectors are properly connect to the motherboard.
I tried tricking the power to turn on by tapping the power switch pins with a screw driver put that didn't work either. I removed the video card and ram and still nothing. I reseteared the CPU and nothing. I cleared the cmos and still nothing. The last thing I tried was removing the motherboard from the case to rule out a short and still no power. I'm at a loss :(.

The motherboard is an asus b350 plus and the power supply is a cool max 700-b 700 watt psu.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
That board is EXTREMELY slow at POST.
Also, don't know what RAM you got, but Asus on AM4 is really struggling with RAM at this moment.
Also, what video card?
Finally, what CoolMax PSU? The ZX series is a solid decent PSU, but some other lines are pure garbage.

I suggest putting the board back in the case, running only one RAM stick. Turn it on, wait for 2-3 mins.
The first POST takes a loooong time.

dabench

Sep 23, 2004
The coolmax 700b. The CPU fans don't even start spinning so I doubt it's a "slow" boot. Already tried removing ram and no luck.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Start at the first part of the chain, the power supply. Plug in a fan or something directly onto the PSU and short the green and black wire, does it turn on and stay on?

dabench

Sep 23, 2004
Start at the first part of the chain, the power supply. Plug in a fan or something directly onto the PSU and short the green and black wire, does it turn on and stay on?
Works fine with my other motherboard and CPU.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That board is EXTREMELY slow at POST.
Turn it on, wait for 2-3 mins.
The first POST takes a loooong time.

I noticed that with my Biostar B150S1 boards. First POST, took like 30 seconds or longer, for the display to appear. What is going on that takes so long? Intel ME taking videos of my room, and sending them off to be stored somewhere in the cloud, using the hidden 3G radio in Intel CPUs?

Later boots don't take that long.

Or maybe the UEFI is filling out the BIOS DMI string stuff, based on the RAM and CPU and USB peripherals installed?

Reactions: Drazick

dabench

Sep 23, 2004
Dumb question but the only dumb question is one not asked right? The motherboard had an 8 pin 12v power connector and my psu uses a 4+4 pin cable. Does it matter which order the 2 4+4 pin cables connect in? I'm pretty sure I tried both ways but just wondering since the manual doesn't give any instructions in this area. One more question, is there a way to test if power is coming out of the 4+4 pin connector?

Thank you!

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You could use a PSU tester, and it does not matter which order they are placed in.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dumb question but the only dumb question is one not asked right? The motherboard had an 8 pin 12v power connector and my psu uses a 4+4 pin cable. Does it matter which order the 2 4+4 pin cables connect in? I'm pretty sure I tried both ways but just wondering since the manual doesn't give any instructions in this area. One more question, is there a way to test if power is coming out of the 4+4 pin connector?

Thank you!
You can't try that both ways. Those connectors are keyed to only plug in the right way. Each 4 pin block is keyed differently to prevent you from plugging them in incorrectly. If you managed to reverse them then you forced them to the point they are most likely damaged. Did you do that?

dabench

Sep 23, 2004
Dumb question but the only dumb question is one not asked right? The motherboard had an 8 pin 12v power connector and my psu uses a 4+4 pin cable. Does it matter which order the 2 4+4 pin cables connect in? I'm pretty sure I tried both ways but just wondering since the manual doesn't give any instructions in this area. Thank you!

I had the 4+4 pin connectors in backwards and now everything works great. What is the standard free CPU benchmark utility these days? I'd like to make sure that I'm getting "normal" performance. Thanks for the help and sorry for being so dumb :(

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I had the 4+4 pin connectors in backwards and now everything works great. What is the standard free CPU benchmark utility these days? I'd like to make sure that I'm getting "normal" performance. Thanks for the help and sorry for being so dumb :(
At least you didn't kill your board :)

Handbrake is an easy way to benchmark your CPU.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Good to hear is working.
The 4 + 4 CPU connector was probably not having good connection. If you connect the left on the right and viceversa it should not damage the board as the 12V and GND are still in the same rows.
I would also assume that any modern motherboard has reverse polarity protection, even a simple diode.

@dabench
How long did it take to post once you fixed the CPU 4+4 connection?
That board is a turtle at POST.

Reactions: Malogeek