New Ryzen Build

joepacelli

Mar 4, 2017
It's been 7 years since I've built a PC. I've always been an AMD fan but when I built my last PC 7 years ago I built an Intel I7 930K Bloomfield.

Now I'm looking to build a new system and will return to AMD and get me a Ryzen 1700X
I'll also replace my Radeon HD 5970 with a GTX 1080.

I was planning to get the MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro motherboard.
The reason I was planning this motherboard is I was planning to get 2 m.2 SSD's
I was thinking 2 512Gb m.2's.
Then I was looking at 1 512Gb, and 1 1Tb m.2

Now I'm thinking 1 1Tb m.2 and 1 1Tb SATA III SSD, because I keep reading about m.2's overheat easier than normal SSD's
If I go this route I'm thinking I could probably also get a B350 motherboard instead of the X370

What I'm looking for is which way you would go?
Also, which motherboard would you choose?

Thanks
Joe

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Too early to tell. Right now I'm watching/reading reviews to see which motherboards are being used and what, if any issues were encountered along with how responsive the manufacturers are and how quickly they push out bios/driver updates. I'm going to wait until things settle down a little more - maybe a revision 1.1 board. Have the 1800X that's replacing my Phenom system. Just upgraded my Intel system a year or so ago.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Too early to tell. Right now I'm watching/reading reviews to see which motherboards are being used and what, if any issues were encountered along with how responsive the manufacturers are and how quickly they push out bios/driver updates. I'm going to wait until things settle down a little more - maybe a revision 1.1 board. Have the 1800X that's replacing my Phenom system. Just upgraded my Intel system a year or so ago.
Yeah I would wait a few months before buying anything so firmware updates will be available and you will also have motherboard reviews to read as well.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
What will you be using your PC for? NVMe drives are massive overkill for most home use, and outside of marginally faster boot and application launch times you definitely won't know the difference (while the jump from HDD to SSD often was in the 100x+ performance range, the jump from SATA SSDs to NVMe is rarely better than 2x improvement. Sequential r/w speed differences are larger, but largely irrelevant for regular computer usage). As such, throwing hundreds of dollars out the window for multiple NVMe drives is a bad idea unless you do some extremely drive-intensive work on your PC. If you can afford it, get an NVMe drive for the OS, applications, games and such (sized to match your needs), and a SATA drive for more storage. If you need mass storage for low-intensity data (media, backups), get an HDD. They're more suited for long-term semi-cold storage, and cost a fraction per GB.

Other than that, we're more or less in the same boat - I've held on to my Core2Quad (one generation older than you) for ages, but my 1700X is in the mail as we speak.