Question New Router, Old School Speeds. Ugh, help!

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Decided to treat myself to a router upgrade. Went from the TP-Link Archer A10 to the AX50. I recall the A10 was a true plug and play installation, which is perfect for the techno-dinosaur that I am. I followed the easy install pamphlet for the AX50 correctly, I believe. But my internet speeds have cratered, both my ethernet connection and wifi networks.
My modem is a Netgear CM1100; ISP is Comcast. I have the Extreme Pro tier, rated at 600 Mbps. My laptop is wired directly into the router and with the old router was typically pulls 720 Mbps. Wifi ranged between 350-450 Mbps, depending upon the location of the device.

Now, it's a different story. All lights on the new router are green. But the LAN 1 LED on the modem is solid orange. The user manual says "A powered on device is connected to the LAN port at 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps. Several Speedtest runs confirm both the ethernet and Wifi are pulling down 95-98 Mbps.
What's the weak link? What did I do wrong?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Change the cable between the modem and router--seems like it is not up to snuff to be gigabit with the newer router. This can happen because marginal cables might work in one installation and fail in another. Also over time cables can deteriorate and cause problems as well.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
I unplugged and rebooted modem and router; checked all cables and connections; then flushed the modem's memory. It has been working fine now for several hours, so perhaps I got lucky and the issue is fixed.