New Republican voter registration scam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Petition can become a ballot initiative.

That is how they get on the ballots from the public's action.

There is NO PETITION being used to collect signatures.
The 'Petition' is missing, all that is there is a collection of signatures that are being used to 'flip' party affiliation.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Petition can become a ballot initiative.

That is how they get on the ballots from the public's action.

There is NO PETITION being used to collect signatures.
The 'Petition' is missing, all that is there is a collection of signatures that are being used to 'flip' party affiliation.

Below is your quoted statement.
She confirmed that there is no ballot initiative to legalize marijuana.
She said that the petition will be given to an elected official in Sacramento.

Petitions for legislative actions are submitted to the state authorities for verification and then if the valid required number of signatures exist, the petition can be put on the ballot.
this allows the citizens to perform a legal end-around on items that they do not feel the state is addressing properly.

The methods of getting additional registrations may be considered deceptive; however, based on the article, they are NOT having the the registrations done without the voter knowing what they are doing. the petition is a way of getting the voters attention.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: LEDominator

Agreed. what proof does the article offer that they are employees of the Republican Party? (That would be none).

Maybe you should learn to read, and to comprehend what is written.

End of Paragraph 2, followed by almost ALL of paragraph 3:

She also tells me that she is working for the Republican party,
being paid hourly, and that the ploy about the "10 cent bonus" was not accurate.

This Republican party employee goes on to tell me that she is there to attract people
to the table that is set up in Fresno?s Courthouse Park,
and that the legalize marijuana petition is just a prop.
She confirmed that there is no ballot initiative to legalize marijuana.
She said that the petition will be given to an elected official in Sacramento.

That makes perfect sense - nobody ever says that they are somebody they aren't.

Once again, what advantage would it give the Republican party to register a lot of stoners as party members?

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You can not get an initiative until you get the signatures to get it on the ballot.

I believe that is what is called a petition.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
You can not get an initiative until you get the signatures to get it on the ballot.

I understand fully the logistics of a voter signature initiative, but that in itself is the breakdown.
They are NOT collecting signatures for an 'Initiative', they are using it's presentation as a ruse -
they collect the signatures, flip the party membership, forward the signature list - but NOT the inititiatve petition.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

I understand fully the logistics of a voter signature initiative, but that in itself is the breakdown.
They are NOT collecting signatures for an 'Initiative', they are using it's presentation as a ruse -
they collect the signatures, flip the party membership, forward the signature list - but NOT the inititiatve petition.
Yes the "petition" iis a method to get the interest of the person
Attempting to attract a person for a speal is valid - Proper
However, they ask about the flip; they are not doing it without permission (based on the article). - Proper
They can forward the signature list for the voting records. Proper.

The article does not state that they are not signing up Dems , they are just encouraging the Repubs.
The article also indicates that they stated that the petition will be forwarded. - Proper

What deception/scam is happening. Attention getting under false pretenses?

Therefore, what is illegal about the process. Dems may consider it to be unethical because it is treading on their "turf /grass" (pun intended) and they did not think of such ideas before hand.

If such a thing works; you can be sure that it will show up over the next 2-3 months before the election as "volunteers" on all sides attemtp to target the interest of potential voters. Every social project/program will be used to get an extra couple of voters, even if the "petition" has not a snowball's chance in hell of suceeding.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

Once again: Who is to say that these are Republicans? What benefit does it give the Republican party to have a bunch of stoners get registered under their party?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee

Once again: Who is to say that these are Republicans? What benefit does it give the Republican party to have a bunch of stoners get registered under their party?

Well, the woman in charge of the sign-up booth states "I work for the Republican Party"

That's the first clue . . .

Now for some clairification - they did the same thing throughout the State of California
(and other states as well)
where they got people to sign the 'Ballot Inititiave', and then 'Flipped' their registration to Republican . . just before the deadline.

Those who were subjected to this 'Flip' had their voting eligibility revised, and were moved to other voting districts
where they either could not find the changed precinct when they tried to vote on Election Day,
or by the time they did get to their new precinct to attempt to vote they were either late, or just gave up out of frustration.

Basically, for each voter that they had moved and did not get to make their voter count, it was an 'exxtra' (Double crossed)
vote talley in favor of a GOP candidate, as the potential opposing candidate lost that re-directed vote.

Each vote that can be kept from being counted in an election that would have gone to an opposing candidate
is an unopposed tabulation in favor of the perpetrators agenda.

Technically it's voter fraud, but it cannot be addressed until after an election is over,
and the disenfranchised voter has already lost their ballot selection.
The penalties in place for this form of fraud are not severe enough to stop it, it just another slap on the hand.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee

Well, the woman in charge of the sign-up booth states "I work for the Republican Party"

That's the first clue . . .

Oh - so if someone were wanting to impersonate a Republican Party member, what would their answer be?

Now for some clairification - they did the same thing throughout the State of California (and other states as well)
where they got people to sign the 'Ballot Inititiave', and then 'Flipped' their registration to Republican . . just before the deadline.

Those who were subjected to this 'Flip' had their voting eligibility revised, and were moved to other voting districts
where they either could not find the changed precinct when they tried to vote on Election Day,
or by the time they did get to their new precinct to attempt to vote they were either late, or just gave up out of frustration.
What? What states determine your precinct by whether you are a registered member of a particular party?

Basically, for each voter that they had moved and did not get to make their voter count, it was an 'exxtra' (Double crossed)
vote talley in favor of a GOP candidate, as the potential opposing candidate lost that re-directed vote.

Each vote that can be kept from being counted in an election that would have gone to an opposing candidate
is an unopposed tabulation in favor of the perpetrators agenda.

Technically it's voter fraud, but it cannot be addressed until after an election is over,
and the disenfranchised voter has already lost their ballot selection.
The penalties in place for this form of fraud are not severe enough to stop it, it just another slap on the hand.

No, it's not voter fraud, unless you can find instances of individuals that had their voting precinct changed solely because they registered as a member of a party.

IMHO, this is a very fishy situation, and it sounds like there are left-wingers that are attempting to drum up opposition to Republicans by impersonating them. Now that's fraud.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Fuzzy -

Your lack of knowledge of Voting is appaling.

MOST states assign your voting precinct depending on your party affiliation, especially in Primaries.
Texas, where I live now does. My GOP pecinct is 5 blocks away from where my wife votes.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Fuzzy -

MOST states assign your voting precinct depending on your party affiliation, especially in Primaries.
Texas, where I live now does. My GOP pecinct is 5 blocks away from where my wife votes.

Ck -

Nice attempt at an insult. Let's see - my state doesn't do that. I guess it's "apalling" to you, though, that I don't know the voting laws for each of the 50 states.

It appears that in California (where this story is set) your party affiliation also does not
determine your precinct.

In addition, for the states that may do this with primaries, how does this benefit the Republican party?

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Fuzzy -

I live in washington. where I vote has never had anything to do with my party affiliation, it has to do with where the polling places are and what your physical address is.
I have never heard of such a thing.
And now its gone one step further as its being changed to all mail in ballots.
And on that the democrats recently rammed through that you cannot split your votes in the primaries you must vote either republican or democrat.
which is stupid, you should vote for the man not the party.
But they did not like the way they were getting beat with the caucus system so they changed it.

And I must say for someone who was trying to be sly and deceptive, it certainly was easy to break her.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: daniel49

I live in washington. where I vote has never had anything to do with my party affiliation, it has to do with where the polling places are and what your physical address is.
I have never heard of such a thing.

Your lack of knowledge of Voting is appaling[sic].

LEDominator

May 31, 2006
Fuzzy -

Yet another reason why Texas is retarded. Either that or you were at one of those stations looking for some weed. As has been said, states usually assign a polling place based on address. So your statement of "most states..." only shows you to be more retarded than the average Texan. But of course the media has already presented Bush as a complete moron, so where does that put you? Secondly, as has also been said by others, the fact that the woman said she works for the Republicans does not in itself confirm she does in fact work for them. If the journalist had any integrity (or competence) he would do his homework to check to make sure because every logically thinking person would want to confirm whether or not it was true. (The author didn't provide confirmation, just making sure you can understand since you only seem to know how to cut and paste, and not actually think).

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Geez - I can't believe this topic is still alive, while my 100% original synthesis about the legitimacy of war dropped like a rock.

But I think the thing speaks for itself, and the rationalizations that a few of you use to justify this deception go a long way to illustrate the moral turpitude that has been used to bring/keep your party in power. Granted, the dems were headed for a fall after the shens of the Clinton administration, but on the whole, they never in history sunk as low as the revived reps, neocons or whatever you want to say.

I think the shock value of 9/11 has worn off, and the people in the middle are coming to their senses now, after looking at the reality of the Iraq war after the initial rush of toppling Saddam, with the torture and rape and murder and failure to achieve a clear victory or even stability, and now the looming possibility of additional confrontations with North Korea and Iran...

The losses yesterday for Lieberman and McKinney could make for a swifter and leaner party. The dems have in recent years had opportunities that were theirs to lose and failed for lack of a cohesive and marketable plan other than opposing the status quo. But the pendulum has swung further to the right than in any time in the histoty of the USA, and the ckecks and balances are all out of whack. The status quo is fscked up and people know it. If the dems can just come up with some decent marketing, I think that in November we will see a backlash that invalidates the notion that GOP stands for God's Own Party.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: daveshel
Geez - I can't believe this topic is still alive, while my 100% original synthesis about the legitimacy of war dropped like a rock.

But I think the thing speaks for itself, and the rationalizations that a few of you use to justify this deception go a long way to illustrate the moral turpitude that has been used to bring/keep your party in power. Granted, the dems were headed for a fall after the shens of the Clinton administration, but on the whole, they never in history sunk as low as the revived reps, neocons or whatever you want to say.

I think the shock value of 9/11 has worn off, and the people in the middle are coming to their senses now, after looking at the reality of the Iraq war after the initial rush of toppling Saddam, with the torture and rape and murder and failure to achieve a clear victory or even stability, and now the looming possibility of additional confrontations with North Korea and Iran...

The losses yesterday for Lieberman and McKinney could make for a swifter and leaner party. The dems have in recent years had opportunities that were theirs to lose and failed for lack of a cohesive and marketable plan other than opposing the status quo. But the pendulum has swung further to the right than in any time in the histoty of the USA, and the ckecks and balances are all out of whack. The status quo is fscked up and people know it. If the dems can just come up with some decent marketing, I think that in November we will see a backlash that invalidates the notion that GOP stands for God's Own Party.

No, it only means the dems have shifted even further to the left, taking themselves further away from middle america.
You know that little chunk in between California and New York.
Its not your Fathers Democratic party, its now run by groups like Moveon.org

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: daveshel

But I think the thing speaks for itself, and the rationalizations that a few of you use to justify this deception go a long way to illustrate the moral turpitude that has been used to bring/keep your party in power.

I'd just like a little bit of evidence (other than somebody there saying "we're with the Republican party") that this was run by the Republicans. I've already shown why this doesn't benefit the Republicans - it only makes them look bad. Sounds like a Soros trick to me.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002

Yet another reason why Texas is retarded. Either that or you were at one of those stations looking for some weed. As has been said, states usually assign a polling place based on address. So your statement of "most states..." only shows you to be more retarded than the average Texan. But of course the media has already presented Bush as a complete moron, so where does that put you? Secondly, as has also been said by others, the fact that the woman said she works for the Republicans does not in itself confirm she does in fact work for them. If the journalist had any integrity (or competence) he would do his homework to check to make sure because every logically thinking person would want to confirm whether or not it was true. (The author didn't provide confirmation, just making sure you can understand since you only seem to know how to cut and paste, and not actually think).

What in the hell are you babbling about? Your post makes no sense.

Banned returning troll much?

LEDominator

May 31, 2006

What in the hell are you babbling about? Your post makes no sense.

Banned returning troll much?

Its called talking about the thread. I figured a liberal wouldn't be able to comprehend anything. It's why they scream so much.

If I were banned I wouldn't be here would I?