New release pricing timeline/time of year for good deals

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
I'm interested in checking out Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 at some point this year, but I only have time to play one for now. So, I'll probably pre-order one now (I'm a sucker for promos) and hold off until I have time/money for the other one or some other game.

How long before new releases will drop in price? Weeks? Months? Depends on sales? For instance, I saw Bioshock selling for as little as $15 over the summer; I don't know how much it sold for when it was released fall of last year, but I'm sure it was $30+. At the same time, CoD4 is still $50 at most retail outlets.

Also, are there big PC game sales around Black Friday/right before Christmas? I haven't really played games on the PC since the late 90's, so I'm not sure how that market operates.

If prices on either of those two titles aren't likely to drop, maybe I should go ahead and pre-order both with the discounts/useless shit I don't need. :p

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
Hmmm... I might be waiting for a while on one of these games if they both live up to the hype.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Look around for sales for the first couple of weeks the games are out. Someone usually will have a new game $10 to $20 off.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
It depends on sales. When sales go down, they usually drop prices to make some extra money. COD4 is almost a year old, and is still almost full price. I would assume 3-4 months with the games you mentioned.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
You just have to be active on hunting down deals and checking out ads. Last week Target had Bad Company and COD4 for $40. Sometimes you can get some good deals on eBay. Another way people save money is by joining gamefly, rent the game and keep it for discounted price versus buying full price at retail.