New Razer Megalodon 7.1 Surround Headset

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Just want to know if I'm the only one impatiently awaiting for these to be released?
Megalodon
I recently picked up a pair of the Steelseries 5hv2 to go with my x-fi Gamer but haven't been impressed with the mic volume. It's too bad really because they are the most comfortable pair of headphones I have worn (i.e. sub $100). If they amplified the mic it would be perfect.

Are there any headphones/mic that are on the horizon that you are eyeing for your gaming rig for 2009?

Yes I know this could go into another forum but I wanted to share the love with the PC Gaming community and get your thoughts.

:thumbsup:

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I prefer to go with audiophile headphones and a separate mic. For the price, "gaming headphones" seem to get a bad rap for both build quality and sound quality from those who've used both, and 7.1 seems to be overrated.

Originally posted by: Oakenfold
Are there any headphones/mic that are on the horizon that you are eyeing for your gaming rig for 2009?
Aphex and some others have been giving some good reviews to the Denon D2000. If I ever do decide to upgrade from my Beyerdynamic DT770s, then that'd probably be my upgrade path.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
A lot of people give surround headphones a bad rap. Apparently, this work pretty well.

I am fine using my ha-rx 700

Harmattan

Oct 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Cabages
A lot of people give surround headphones a bad rap. Apparently, this work pretty well.

I am fine using my ha-rx 700

Or you can just get a good set of cans with sound card with Dolby Headphone Surround... I'm using the Barracuda AC-1 with Denon D2000s and they sound amazing. I have a DAC/Amp, but they sound great even without it.

I have a feeling these new Razer cans will be crap, like all "surround" gaming headsets. I've been through the Barracuda HP-1s, Medusa 5.1s and LTBs: they all sound like absolute garbage compared to a good set of cans with a good soundcard.

Edit: On second glance, the headphones and specks seem to be AKG k601s with a mic attached. If so, and the "Maelstrom" surround works well, it should be a really nice gaming setup and will blow away and current "surround gaming" headsets. I'm guessing they'll retail between $200-250.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
yeah, this new headset isn't quite as gimmicky as previous surround headsets which actually have multiple speakers to provide the surround effect

from what I can tell the surround sound portion of this product is designed to take a 7.1 signal and convert it over to 2.0 cans (of which two sources right next to your ears is all you need for proper positioning as long as it is done right)

I'm going to wait for reviews though, their first headset was a bust and their second a nothing-special entry level Sennheiser clone. However I have been relatively impressed by their first and only sound card as well as their speaker system...however that does add some concern, their speakers are way too expensive for what they offer.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
I have the Razer AC1 sound card and their companion headphones, and the phones fell apart after 8 months of relatively easy use. They are on their last legs only due to Mr. Ductape.

Going to wait for thorough good reviews before going Razer again. Sound card has functioned well, other than a tendancy to come unstuck when you try to plug in components.

I presently prefer the route of good stereo headphones, but my AKGs are on the audio machine, not the game one.

Panzer Tiger

Dec 15, 2007
I though I read somewhere that the msrp will be $150 which is very reasonable. Anyway they look pretty good but I will also wait for some reviews to come in. My main concern is also the build quality. I'm sure it will sound good but then again I'm not an audiophile.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
comparing these to sennheiser's and other audiophile type headphones is apples to oranges.

it's not as much about sound quality as it is being able to tell when there's someone behind you when playing multiplayer games.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: thujone
comparing these to sennheiser's and other audiophile type headphones is apples to oranges.

it's not as much about sound quality as it is being able to tell when there's someone behind you when playing multiplayer games.

I don't know why, but I seem to be able to tell where people are just fine with my high sound quality stereo headphones.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

I don't know why, but I seem to be able to tell where people are just fine with my high sound quality stereo headphones.
Same here.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I've been looking at the Astro A40's : http://www.astrogaming.com/products/9/Audio/

Everything looks high quality and I love the detachable mic (I can use these for outside use when I travel without worrying about the mic and such). They are a bit expensive, but I don't mind if they will last forever (my current senn 280's are more than 5 years old). There's also the option of the amp as well and judging by the reviews it's a great headset for both music and gaming, but I'm still on the fence about them. Anyone have any experience with them?

Harmattan

Oct 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Panzer Tiger
I though I read somewhere that the msrp will be $150 which is very reasonable. Anyway they look pretty good but I will also wait for some reviews to come in. My main concern is also the build quality. I'm sure it will sound good but then again I'm not an audiophile.

If they do sell at $150 and are, in fact, modded AKG k601s with a surround decoder, this will be a great deal. Looks like someone may have actually gotten the "surround gaming" headset right...

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I recently picked up a pair of the Steelseries 5hv2 to go with my x-fi Gamer but haven't been impressed with the mic volume. It's too bad really because they are the most comfortable pair of headphones I have worn (i.e. sub $100). If they amplified the mic it would be perfect.

I have the same cans (v1). You might want to go through your Windows settings. Since they don't have dedicated drivers, you have to set your mic input levels manually.

Go to Speech Recognition Properties in Vista, or for XP here's a good tutorial:
http://www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup_xp.html

Back on topic - I'd have to try out any surround headphones before I bought them, especially with that price. Those do look pretty nice though.

-z

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

Same here.

ever tried any surround headphones to compare? i used to say the same thing until i tried a pair of 5.1.

and i'll admit... they sounded like crap when listening to music... but like i said... apples and oranges. then again... they were also some ultra cheapy kinyo headphones. so it's not like i feel as if i were tricked/ripped off... i knew what i was getting into when i bought them.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: abaez
I've been looking at the Astro A40's : http://www.astrogaming.com/products/9/Audio/

Everything looks high quality and I love the detachable mic (I can use these for outside use when I travel without worrying about the mic and such). They are a bit expensive, but I don't mind if they will last forever (my current senn 280's are more than 5 years old). There's also the option of the amp as well and judging by the reviews it's a great headset for both music and gaming, but I'm still on the fence about them. Anyone have any experience with them?

I've been looking at those too since my Senn's are dying.

$250 is a little steep but if they're really that good, i'd be willing to drop the cash.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: zagood

I have the same cans (v1). You might want to go through your Windows settings. Since they don't have dedicated drivers, you have to set your mic input levels manually.

Go to Speech Recognition Properties in Vista, or for XP here's a good tutorial:
http://www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup_xp.html

Back on topic - I'd have to try out any surround headphones before I bought them, especially with that price. Those do look pretty nice though.

-z

Thx for the tips, I've got everything maxxed already. I'm not sure what the deal is, even have the latest Creative drivers.

You know I saw those when I found the Razer headset, I wasn't familiar with the company so I didn't look into it. They look nice but for that price they better be amazing.

According to their support page:

"Q: What if I just don't like it? Do you offer a money-back guarantee? A: We'll give you 15 days to decide if you like the system or not -- and we'll take it back within that period -- no questions asked."

Interesting.

cs2501

May 16, 2009
I am currently wearing my Astro A40's just for music. They RAPE all Sennheiser headphones. Don't get me wrong, I like my Sennies, I have some PCX 450's and HD650's. I used to have a pair of HD800's (the 1,300 dollar set) but the sound experience, I felt, was not any different than my 650's so I returned them. The reason why the Astro A40's whoop so much ass is due to "Dolby Headphone". Sennhiser headphone are just fancy, old school stereo headphones with a copper plug. "If" the Megladon does not use some superior or on par technology to "Dobly Headphone" they will suck a fat one just like all the other "multi spear headphone", trust me I've tried 3 sets of those. In favor of Sennheiser, The Sennheiser PCX 450's do RAPE the Dr. Dre beats, they even have a talk-through feature with an external Microphone so you can swap off the noise canceling and hear EVERYTHING around you, it amps it up... can listen in on conversations across the room. But the Dolby headphone with an optical audio jack for pure digital audio output for Dolby digital headphone, there is just no beating it.

When I first used my Astro A40's it literally gave me chills at how insane the surround sound was. Especially in games like TF2, Halo 3 and other FPS game. I could place people at any "degree" around me walking or shooting, as if it were going around me. I can't help but look around some times. You will absolutely be shocked by the insane surround sound quality. Like I said, unless the "Megladon" uses some sort of imitation Dobly Headphone technology (not Dobly Digital 5.1, Dobly HEADPHONE 5.1), it's dead out of the box next to the A40's. And even then, hell, 5.1 v.s. 7.1? I'm sorry but i'm not some sort of dog with super sonic hearing where I can tell a 1/8th degree change in sound direction. The construction of the Megladons looks superior, but at the same time I would not want to wear them out of the house were as with my PCX 450's or Astro's looks freaking banging. The Astro's earcup outsides do have "removable" sound guards, which do help a great deal if you need to hear people over your music. The amount of cord options are in-fucking-sane. If you order the headphones with the mixer there is practically nothing you can't hook into and mix naively. Also while the mic is NOISE CANCELING, and can be plugged into either side of the headphones. Comes in handy if you are bikeing or driving so your bag or belt doesn't knock on it.

Drawbacks to the A40's and were Sennies beat them...

Ok, so I like the PCX 450's "build" better (these are the noise canceling headphones from senny, NOT the HD "audio phile" ones). I have actually considered taking the Astro A40 speakers out and make a custom headphone enclosure for them. The cloth ear cups are shit. I mean, who ever put this amazing of an audio system in this shity of a plastic enclosure with this shity quality of head band should be shot, KOS plane and simple.

For the first few weeks, the damn cloth ear cups will squeak when you bobble your head or turn your head until they are broken in. I fucking want my PCX style soft padded leather cups. Those things feel AMAZING, and they stay on way better. I feel like i could throw them though the 3rd story window of my apartment and they would be just fine. Astros, I think would break before my window would.. when wear them out on the town and I drag in tired from partying and throw them on the floor and drag them around while still attached to my iPhone (yes the mic works with the iPhone!!!) I am scare the fucking things will break. There is "some" metal in the construction of the A40's but the band going over the head is made of maybe 1/4th inch plastic that feels like its the same shity plastic they make carnival prize shit out of.

anyhow, I had to put in my 2c

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Razer needs a new logo. The one they have now is too complicated and pointless. It looks like a doodle.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: ayabe

I've been looking at those too since my Senn's are dying.

$250 is a little steep but if they're really that good, i'd be willing to drop the cash.

If you don't need the amp they're only $200. They look very high quality and the few reviews I've read the SQ is pretty impressive. I like these and I like the Psyko Audio ones, the web site seems a bit gimmicky and $300 is nutts but again I've read good things about them

linky to Psyko

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
The advertising video for those psyko's totally fits the bill for late night infomercial fare. I was waiting for them to throw in an extra pair if I call now.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: TidusZ
The advertising video for those psyko's totally fits the bill for late night infomercial fare. I was waiting for them to throw in an extra pair if I call now.

except that $300 is 15x the average price of infomercial junk...

I'll admit I'm just as skeptical as the next guy but I'd also put my money on those headphones actually doing something before any other supposed surround sound set.