New Radeon 9000 PCI, big problems...

Lscman

Nov 7, 2002
...on my PII 400 MHz Dell GX1. It powered up fine and I promptly disabled the onboard video board by entering system in the Windows 98 device manager. Rebooted fine and showed the "red X" over the motherboard video in the device mgr...so far, so good.

Now I get the supplied disk and follow the "ATI Easy Install" instructions. WHAM....it detects some problem and refuses to load completely. Next reboot the PC comes up in the Safe Mode and I promptly uninstall the ATI software thru the Control Panel. Now the machine does not boot into windows. Removed Radeon 9000 and re-enabled internal video...same result. The machine is now a useless brick that hangs on the Win98 startup screen. Tried to reinstall Win98 from startup disk, no improvement.

Looks like the 20G worth of files will need unloaded into another machine to do fresh Windows install from scratch.

Can I connect a Win98 drive with 20G of user files as the second drive on an NTFS XP machine in order to copy them. I'm assuming not.

Thanks for any feedback on how to rescue drive or files or how I screwed up.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Yes you can connect a Win 9x HDD to a NTFS system... Why you have Win 9x at all is beyond me, really is worth spending <$100 for Win XP if you want to be legal (even could find a college student somewhere to get it for you for like $10). And a Radeon 9000, even the PCI version, seems a little excessive for a 400MHz system. It'll perform hardly better than a Voodoo3/4/5 because you are limmited by your CPU.

Lscman

Nov 7, 2002
Thanks, but I need to clarify:

This Radeon 9000/Win98 PII machine that got corrupted from installing ATI's software is DOA. It has Win98 on it, not XP. I am plannning to take this hard drive and plug it into my P4 with XP and NTFS installed. The XP machine was already formatted in NTFS.

My question is....will the XP machine (formatted with NTFS) read this Win98 hard drive and allow me to copy & read critical user files to the NTFS drive??

By the way, I paid $91 including shipping for the Radeon 9000 PCI. I needed a TV video connector and the ability to upgrade to XP within a year, so an "as-is" used ebay video card or Radeon 7000 was not an option. This card also allows me to connect a flat screen. The cheapest alternatives are 2 year old cards that do not support DirectX 8 & still sell for $65+.

Trashman

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2000
I promptly disabled the onboard video board by entering system in the Windows 98 device manager. Rebooted fine and showed the "red X" over the motherboard video in the device mgr...so far, so good.
That's your problem right there, you need to go in the BIOS to disable onboard video. By taking out the drivers via device manager all ya did was confuse your machine....windows wanted to load those ATI drivers for the onboard video, or confuse your machine into what video card is this dude using here....not sure on how to enter motherboard BIOS on a DELL, could be "delete" or F1 at startup....give that a try.

My question is....will the XP machine (formatted with NTFS) read this Win98 hard drive and allow me to copy & read critical user files to the NTFS drive??
....yes that will work.