New puppy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
No worries here, Alky. Having muscle, a house, job, and confidence does not make you a man...women have that too. Hell, my dog has that. Don't worry, you'll have more experiences as you continue to develop and grow including why little, yappy rats are not real dogs.

I love my little warrior pooch. He chased off a coyote last month.
I was really worried I wouldn’t see him again but he came back tail wagging and all good.
Shhh I haven’t told my wife about that incident. No more off leash late night walks for him.

006A7503-1E4B-425D-B4A4-9B3B12BA277B.jpeg
His DNA indicated a more than four generations ago ancestor shared a lot of DNA that Irish Wolf Hounds have.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
We have two miniatures. Brother and sister. The blonde (female) and blue merle (male). Two completely different personalities. Female will not obey commands but she is very smart (like are wives?). When she was a few weeks old she figured out how to open the baby gate latch by watching us. She would jump up and flip the latch up with her nose. We had to start locking it since we didn't want them running around peeing, pooping and chewing on everything. They're almost two now. The male is picking up some commands. Both very smart and loveable. We still have to keep them separated from the other older dogs because they will jump them when they are all together.

IMG_4037.jpgIMG_4037.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
They're almost two now. The male is picking up some commands

Wow really? And the female knows zero commands? :oops:

Have you considered going to a professional trainer who will work with you and the dogs together? (I think at this point it's a "must")

Seriously I've had a bunch of dogs in my life and by two years every one was fully trained even the tough ones. (most before they were one!)

Reactions: Scarpozzi

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Wow really? And the female knows zero commands? :oops:

Have you considered going to a professional trainer who will work with you and the dogs together? (I think at this point it's a "must")

Seriously I've had a bunch of dogs in my life and by two years every one was fully trained even the tough ones. (most before they were one!)

She knows the commands she is just oppositional defiant. She just looks at us with eyes that say - I'm not doing that! You know how females can do that sometimes. :)

We talked to one one local professional trainer but we felt his training might change their playful personality. Both my wife and her mother who lives with us have had dogs all their lives and have never had to go to a professional dog trainer with any of their dogs.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
She knows the commands she is just oppositional defiant. She just looks at us with eyes that say - I'm not doing that! You know how females can do that sometimes. :)

We talked to one one local professional trainer but we felt his training might change their playful personality. Both my wife and her mother who lives with us have had dogs all their lives and have never had to go to a professional dog trainer with any of their dogs.

Never had poodles myself but my cousins did. They were a real hand-full until after obedience school but then they were amazing. Never mind commands you could just talk to them.

Had no effect on how much they liked to play ... or how much they acted up if they didn't get enough activity. Behavior issues are just about never on the dogs btw they're due to lack of proper training.

Both lived till almost 20 too.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
We got a second poodle back in June. She was around 11 weeks old when we got her, so we missed some of the puppy time with her. She's a little bigger than the male and runs around tackling him all the time.
IMG_20210822_091425090_HDR.jpgIMG_20210822_091400760_HDR.jpg
(edited for better scale)

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
After putting our two little rat dogs down the end of July, I'm starting to push for another dog. Don't really want a young puppy...hate the whole "house breaking" thing...but if you get an older dog...you never know what you're gonna get with things like bad habits, disposition, etc...so...I'm kind of looking for a young dog...maybe 6 months-1 year...thereabouts. (doesn't mean we won't end up with a puppy though...I get outvoted all the time)

Don't think we're gonna get another little rat dog. As much as I loved the two we had, I think I want something a bit larger...maybe 30-40 lbs. fully grown. Definitely do NOT want a monster dog...100 lbs+.
(but dammit, those Great Pyrenees puppies are SOOOO cute) :D
I WANT a Border Collie...but I'm afraid, with my injuries and lack of mobility, I won't be able to provide the dog enough activity...and they're working dogs...they WANT to be busy.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
After putting our two little rat dogs down the end of July, I'm starting to push for another dog. Don't really want a young puppy...hate the whole "house breaking" thing...but if you get an older dog...you never know what you're gonna get with things like bad habits, disposition, etc...so...I'm kind of looking for a young dog...maybe 6 months-1 year...thereabouts. (doesn't mean we won't end up with a puppy though...I get outvoted all the time)

Don't think we're gonna get another little rat dog. As much as I loved the two we had, I think I want something a bit larger...maybe 30-40 lbs. fully grown. Definitely do NOT want a monster dog...100 lbs+.
I WANT a Border Collie...but I'm afraid, with my injuries and lack of mobility, I won't be able to provide the dog enough activity...and they're working dogs...they WANT to be busy.
Don't get a Border Collie if you want a dog that likes to hang out and chill with you. They have to a good amount of exercise and be given "jobs" to keep their minds focused. If they don't get that (especially when they are young), they get bored and many times destructive. They are good dogs for sure, just a very hyper breed in general since they are working dogs. We had to give ours a good hour of exercise every day to keep his indoor energy levels at a good level up until he was 8 or 9 years old.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Don't get a Border Collie if you want a dog that likes to hang out and chill with you. They have to a good amount of exercise and be given "jobs" to keep their minds focused. If they don't get that (especially when they are young), they get bored and many times destructive. They are good dogs for sure, just a very hyper breed in general since they are working dogs. We had to give ours a good hour of exercise every day to keep his indoor energy levels at a good level up until he was 8 or 9 years old.

yep...kind of what I said about "provide the dog enough activity...and they're working dogs...they WANT to be busy."

An hour a day isn't generally difficult...take the dog to the beach, let it run and chase tennis balls, or the park...(we don't have an actual leash free dog park, but everyone ignores that) But still...I'm just not sure that, as much as I LIKE the breed...it's right for me...or maybe that I'm right for it.
We'll see.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Mrs Ned & I want another dog really bad; our last one died 9 years ago. She wants a labradoodle, but I keep balking because of the cost. I have a hard time paying big bucks for a dog from a breeder when there are so many good, cheap dogs at the pound who need homes.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

download (10).jpeg