New PSU, wont get past BIOS Splash

bishop150

May 27, 2012
Hopefully someone has some ideas I havent tried yet.

Specs:

AMD x6 1055T
MSI 785g-E53
OCZ ModXStream-Pro 600w
OLD PSU: Corsair HX 520w

The old PSU was starting to run really hot. I installed he new one and it wont get past the MSI splash screen.

I reseated the ram.
Unplugged eveything except the vid card
Checked all the connectors are tight
Reset the cmos

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

B

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
It doesn't have anything to do with the PSU, it's your RAM or CMOS reset that did it. Try booting with one RAM module

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
plug the old psu back in. possible you got a defective unit. though, if it's getting to the bios splash, i have no idea how it would be the PSU, but still. check the last known good configuration to eliminate problems.

bishop150

May 27, 2012
Let me start by saying thank you for the advice thus far, let me answer a few questions

@Nizzzlle Yes, they supply still worked but it starting shutting off when it heated up while playing D3, Dungeon Defenders and Fallout 3. I had run DD and F3 for a while without issue and I would say about 3 weeks ago the symptoms started. That's when I decided to buy a new PSU.

@lehtv I didn't reset the cmos until after I installed the new psu and the new issue started. Also, I suspected that it might be the RAM at one point so I tried them both one at a time and in different available slots.

@Paul878 I did get an error message, it finally got past the splash screen once and said something to the effect of "over clock settings at not functioning properly, reverting to default settings" or some such. it didn't get this far again.

@ElFenix I plugged the old PSU back in this evening and got the same issue. Stuck at the splash screen.

@infoiltraitor I am thinking at this point during the PSU swap something happened to the mobo?

Thank you again!

B

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Clearing the CMOS resets RAM settings to default values, but perhaps for some reason those settings aren't stable and that's why it locks up?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Check the battery voltage, some boards act oddly with a flat battery. It's possible an ESD scrambled part of the bios, damaged something else, or mechanical stress broke a solder joint somewhere.

You wrote that you unplugged everything but the video card. The board has integrated video so do you mean there was no separate card to unplug or there was and you didn't? If there's a separate card, pull that out too and try with the board IGP.