New processors on the horizon?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I've been a bit out of the loop lately. What's on the horizon? When is Coffee Lake's desktop successor scheduled to hit? Ryzen 2?

A while back I had repaired some CPU socket pins on my motherboard. Yesterday I had to take the CPU out and, after putting it back in (and even attempting another repair), I could only get one of my RAM slots working. So, it's limping along with one channel of RAM. I'm not really a power user anymore so I'm in no rush to buy new hardware, but I'd like an idea of just how long I'll need to wait for the Next Big Thing.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
After reading those threads:

No discussion in the Intel thread about post-Coffee Lake, just another Coffee lake die. I probably won't be springing for an i7 anyway so that doesn't affect me. I suppose we have virtually no information about what Intel has in the works then, and when they plan to release it? Other than a couple of code names attached to a vague "sometime after this year"?

The AMD roadmap looks more clear, with Zen 2 estimated Q2 2019 in existing sockets and AM5/Zen 3 in early 2021.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Until Intel works out 10nm production, some time mid to late 2019, the most we might see from them is an additional Coffee Lake die with 2 more cores. Cannon Lake should be the next CPU in theory specially since they technically are shipping them already (knee capped to Pentium level and being used to help them work on the process). As is those aren't that impressive from an arch level either. So the question becomes do they skip over cannon lake and go with something closer to what they had already planned on releasing late '19 or has the whole stack been pushed back a year or so?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I probably won't be springing for an i7 anyway so that doesn't affect me.
It does indirectly affect you, since there's an upper limit to mainstream prices, hence the 8 core is likely to create some downward pressure on the 6 core chips.

I suppose we have virtually no information about what Intel has in the works then, and when they plan to release it? Other than a couple of code names attached to a vague "sometime after this year"?
Intel is probably in the process of rearranging both their roadmaps and their leadership. Never bend CPU pins when CPU vendor is having an identity crisis.