New Powershots announced today: G15, S110, SX50

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
G15

S110

SX50

The only one that remotely interests me is the SX50, but I'm not buying unless there is a considerable speed improvement over the SX40.

They've added RAW, moved some buttons around, and 50x zoom sounds awesome. :)

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The only one that is remotely interesting is the G15 with the f/1.8 glass, but for the same price you can get a Panny GF5 which is just as small and performs a whole lot better.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The SX50 ,is a definite interest for me. I have the 5R MKII, and a SX40, but the added low light and zoom caspability of the SX50 get my attention. This is defini8tely a monopod/tripod camera with 50X zoom. Whew!

$480 in October is doable.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Why, oh why did Canon - YET AGAIN! - cripple their latest G-series model with a fixed LCD? It makes absolutely no sense :(

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Why, oh why did Canon - YET AGAIN! - cripple their latest G-series model with a fixed LCD? It makes absolutely no sense :(

I'm betting it's the same reason they put a fixed LCD on the SX500, and on the T3. If you want it, you'll pay up for the more expensive version.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For convenience I'd rather have a cell phone.
For quality I'd rather have an SLR.
These days I just dont see the need for compacts and power zooms. One is small and inconvenient, the other is inconvenient but offers inferior quality.

BUT!
I certainly wont put down anyone who chooses to purchase and use them.

Last edited:

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
For convenience I'd rather have a cell phone.
For quality I'd rather have an SLR.
These days I just dont see the need for compacts and power zooms. One is small and inconvenient, the other is inconvenient but offers inferior quality.

I can't afford the kind of zoom on a DSLR that I could get with the SX50. The quality of a superzoom may not be the best, but it's a hell of a lot better than what a cell phone can do.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I use a G9 at work and I prefer not having a flip out screen. The flip out screen adds thickness and a weak point to an otherwise rock solid field camera.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The SX50 retails for 479.99. You can get a low-end SLR for that money. The D40 and D40x are about the same size as a big powerzoom. I dont know what the canon equivalent is. Digital Rebel?

I wasnt really comparing the cell phone to the SLR. Obviously thats not fair. I was thinking the cell phone is the new alternative to the compact. And low-end SLR's are the alternative to power zooms.

The only reason I might take a power zoom over my D40 is if it were genuinely smaller and lighter, and the barrel could compress way down into the body for a mostly flat camera when its not in use. There arent enough of those around anymore.

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
The SX50 retails for 479.99. You can get a low-end SLR for that money. The D40 and D40x are about the same size as a big powerzoom. I dont know what the canon equivalent is. Digital Rebel?

Canon equivelant is the 1100d .

Try getting those options with a 24-1200mm lens.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004

I wasnt really comparing the cell phone to the SLR. Obviously thats not fair. I was thinking the cell phone is the new alternative to the compact. And low-end SLR's are the alternative to power zooms.

The only reason I might take a power zoom over my D40 is if it were genuinely smaller and lighter, and the barrel could compress way down into the body for a mostly flat camera when its not in use. There arent enough of those around anymore.

But what does a 1200mm zoom lens cost, for a DSLR? Can you show me one for less than the price of the SX50? Even a 600mm is damn expensive. And then there's the whole issue of having to swap lenses on the fly. I don't know where you live, but it's windy here, more often than not.

If zoom isn't important to you, then use your cell phone. But if it is, it's gonna cost you, one way or another.

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
But what does a 1200mm zoom lens cost, for a DSLR? Can you show me one for less than the price of the SX50? Even a 600mm is damn expensive. And then there's the whole issue of having to swap lenses on the fly. I don't know where you live, but it's windy here, more often than not.

If zoom isn't important to you, then use your cell phone. But if it is, it's gonna cost you, one way or another.

I resisted the urge to post when you first made this post as I didn't have anything constructive to offer. I'm not a fan of the SX50 because the image sensor is small and even ISO80 pictures have visible grain.

But you are right, it truly is a matter or compromise. If having a high zoom matters to you, then go for it.

You can have price, image quality and features. Pick any two.

Image quality and as a subset of that, the light gathering ability of the lens matter more for me. As such the G15 looks the most interesting to me.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I resisted the urge to post when you first made this post as I didn't have anything constructive to offer. I'm not a fan of the SX50 because the image sensor is small and even ISO80 pictures have visible grain.

But you are right, it truly is a matter or compromise. If having a high zoom matters to you, then go for it.

Image quality and as a subset of that, the light gathering ability of the lens matter more for me. As such the G15 looks the most interesting to me.

Unfortunately, price rules out the best options, for some of us. :(

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

I beg to differ.

I had the original Canon Digital Rebel, then the Rebel XT, and am currently using an XS (on its last legs, because the sensor has developed a lot of dead pixels). I also have an SX40, and before it I had an SX1.

I challenge anyone to compare pictures from those (admittedly old) DSLRs and the ones obtained from my current SX40 - taken at 100 ISO, using a focal distance of 50 cm - and be able to tell me that there's more grain/noise/pixellation in the jpeg files coming from the SX40.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
They've made the SX50 compatible with one of Canon's existing wired remotes. :fap:

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
dpreview has ignored the SX30 and the SX40. I'll be surprised if they ever review the SX50.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
is the S110 worth the price on the improvement they made over the s100?

anyone know if it's indeed an improvement? The preview didn't say much.

G series still lags in wide angle...I have no idea why canon did this.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I beg to differ.

I had the original Canon Digital Rebel, then the Rebel XT, and am currently using an XS (on its last legs, because the sensor has developed a lot of dead pixels). I also have an SX40, and before it I had an SX1.

I challenge anyone to compare pictures from those (admittedly old) DSLRs and the ones obtained from my current SX40 - taken at 100 ISO, using a focal distance of 50 cm - and be able to tell me that there's more grain/noise/pixellation in the jpeg files coming from the SX40.

This is utterly a completely stupid argument and comparison. You want to use a six year old camera that is 8mp to a year old 12mp camera. Cameras have advanced very far in the past 5 years (there was no FullHD recording back then on a DSLR). You have to do an apples to apples comparison...not an apple to oranges.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
This is utterly a completely stupid argument and comparison. You want to use a six year old camera that is 8mp to a year old 12mp camera. Cameras have advanced very far in the past 5 years (there was no FullHD recording back then on a DSLR). You have to do an apples to apples comparison...not an apple to oranges.

In reality, IQ has not changed a lot between certain older cameras and newer models and why many say MP is a bad thing to look at.

No one was debating faster shot to shot times, faster auto focus (along with more intelligence), stability systems, etc.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
is the S110 worth the price on the improvement they made over the s100?

We'll have to wait for finalized reviews but don't hold your breath, Canon is known for small iterations to their bodies, lenses included. And they have fallen behind in sensor technology so don't expect any miracles there, either.