New Polls: Obama Expands His Electoral College Lead Over McCain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Take those predictions with a grain of salt, but I would bet on Obama because McCain will surely say open his mouth with stupidity numerous times between now and election time.

Obama isnt so immune from saying and doing stupid things. In fact I think the more Obama speaks the less people will like him. He was put on a pedestal after the 04 election. The media has practically cheerleaded for him since the beginning of this process. Over the next couple of months the republicans will force his hand to speak on topics with more than a msg of change and hope. But with real answers and plans.

I think the guy is charismatic, hell wish there was a republican version of him. But there is always dirty laundry to be cleaned out. Just last week I read a story about him squashing voter registration drives in his first run for the state senate. Effectively making him run unopposed. Sounds like dirty politics to me. More of these stories will be aired and used against him.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
Take those predictions with an ocean of salt, but I would bet on Obama because McCain will surely say open his mouth with stupidity numerous times between now and election time.

Kerry, 04, anyone? how quickly they forget
So you agree that McCain will undoubtedly say something stupefyingly stupid such as not knowing the difference between Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Whoopsy doody!!!!

Big deal about the polls, poll this, poll that.

The only thing that will matter is the one in November, the general election, and that is at least 5 months away. Anything can happen in polictic.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Take those predictions with an ocean of salt, but I would bet on Obama because McCain will surely say open his mouth with stupidity numerous times between now and election time.

So you agree that McCain will undoubtedly say something stupefyingly stupid such as not knowing the difference between Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq?
Or Obama will again not understand that different languages are spoken in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Interesting how we all know about the Shi'a/Sunni mess up, but few people seem to remember Obama saying that translators could be taken from Iraq and placed in Afghanistan.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Or Obama will again not understand that different languages are spoken in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Interesting how we all know about the Shi'a/Sunni mess up, but few people seem to remember Obama saying that translators could be taken from Iraq and placed in Afghanistan.
Even more interesting is that translators in that part of the world typically do know more than two languages.

But to highlight how little you know about the region, here's some information about Arabic (Iraq's official language) and Persian (Afghanistan's official language):

Arabic is a major source of vocabulary for languages as diverse as Berber, Kurdish, Pashto, Persian, Swahili, Urdu, Hindi (especially the spoken variety), Turkish, Malay and Indonesian, as well as other languages in countries where these languages are spoken.
So Persian actually contains many words that are taken from or closely derived from Arabic. Those translators might be of some use in Afghanistan after all.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Just remember, 6 months before the primary season started, McCain was written off in like last or close to it) place. And Guiliani was the front runner.

A lot can change in 6 months, and current polls now are pretty useless in determining what will happen in November.

That said, I am still rooting for (and will be voting for) Obama as well.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: GarfieldtheCat
Just remember, 6 months before the primary season started, McCain was written off in like last or close to it) place. And Guiliani was the front runner.

A lot can change in 6 months, and current polls now are pretty useless in determining what will happen in November.

That said, I am still rooting for (and will be voting for) Obama as well.

Primaries are a different beast than general elections. Both candidates have to either gain independents or gain new voters. Both can do the former, obama can do the latter. What we get a sense of is where the key battles will take place. Obama has a very large map to play with, but also has to play defense in michigan, minnesota, and pennsylvania.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Even more interesting is that translators in that part of the world typically do know more than one language.

Um...

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Even more interesting is that translators in that part of the world typically do know more than one language.

Um...
Good eye; fixed.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Poblano on Rev. Wright and The Obamicans (the former)
"There are really relatively few swing voters in the general election -- 80% of the country is voting reflexively by party ID -- which is why polling numbers in general elections are much more stubborn than polling numbers in primaries. But, sort of Linc Chafee / Olympia Snowe Republicans, and perhaps also libertarian-leaning Republicans, are a group of voters that must feel authentically conflicted about what to do. It doesn't take a lot to shift them from one group to the other -- nor might it take a lot to shift them back. (Link)

Vote For Change (the latter)
"Which brings me back to a point I'd like to make about the Prescience and accuracy that the Obama Campaign has exibited thus far this election season. Obama's campaign has effective employed Math, Electorial Genius and Predictive prowess to gain an entry as an insurgent during the Primary. So long as message, finances, and candidate performance stayed on track, the math fell into place, according to the predictions layed out by the campaign's unsung hero, Jeff Berman. It was Berman who wrote that now fabled Spreadsheet which was correct with the exception of only two contests, and has proven to be an incredibly accurate grasp upon the electorial map. Obama's campaign understood how to win the Primary from the beginning, and after understanding fully Poblano's Roadmap, it's clear again the Obama campaign is ahead of the game. May 10th was the start of the final phase of the smarter campaign. It received blog attention, it got some print press, but in the end, more than any probable debate, commercial or slogan, Vote for Change is the road to victory." (Link)

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
seems like that same site shows Hillary doing significantly better against McCain than Obama, but I don't see you citing that fact ;)

a few months ago he was a junior US Senator with almost no name recognition

that's just downright revisionist. he was on the cover of Time years ago with the headline "Why Barack Obama Could Be the Next President."

That was after his speech at the 2004 convention. Before being elected Jr. Senator.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

How is that interesting at all? When someone stakes their candidacy on their foreign policy credentials and then can't remember one of the most basic pieces of information that any 1st semester poli sci student knows, it's news. McCain wants people to pay attention to his foreign policy stance and so they are, in that case he paid a price for it.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
He's gonna lose Florida, Ohio, and election. Too bad, so sad.
Except he's not, but keep us posted on your "hunches".

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

lol no kidding.

I remember Bush was trading at 10 cents on intrade after drudge's exit poll data showing Kerry with 57%.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
The coronation of the Messiah has begun!

Yes, and now it's time for you to strike him down, dear Judas, so he can rise and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
-------

Thy Will on Earth as in Heaven!

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Do you just feel it in your gut?

I had a feeling in my gut that Hillary would win :(

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"The two candidates are essentially tied right now, with about 20 percent of Democrats defecting to John McCain. If Obama can get that number down to 15 percent -- still higher than the 10-12 percent rates that most nominees get, but lower than where it is now -- that's worth a couple of points for him depending on the state. The bounce is likely to be especially large in states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, which have been trending Democratic in party affilaition but that also have a lot of Clinton supporters. If Obama moves Pennsylvania from "lean Democrat" to "safe Democrat", and Ohio from "toss-up" to "lean Democrat", McCain will need to have a nearly-perfect Election Night to win the Presidency." (Link)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Do you just feel it in your gut?

I had a feeling in my gut that Hillary would win :(

I'd say almost definitely Florida, Ohio maybe not so much.

I've got a feeling that a lot of this election is going to hinge on Colorado and Virginia for the Dems.

Aug 23, 2000
Take those predictions with a grain of salt, but I would bet on Obama because McCain will surely say open his mouth with stupidity numerous times between now and election time.

Maybe McCain will regal us with stories about his uncle that liberated Aushwitz, or his poor dad that worked in fields in Africa.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

Maybe McCain will regal us with stories about his uncle that liberated Aushwitz, or his poor dad that worked in fields in Africa.
McCain opens his mouth.

:laugh:

Can't wait to see what comes bumbling out of his mouth during the debates.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

Or how he hide that watch in his ass for years so he could give it to his buddies son.