New PC with Air Cooler ?

Aiden2k13

May 2, 2014
Hi, I just got my new PC yesterday. Specs are - Core i7 6700 K , Asus Maximus VIII Extreme , 980 Ti AMP Extreme, Antec 1300W High Pro Platinum , 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 2 TB WD Black, Cosmos 2 .
Now the liquid cooler Corsair H110i GTX is not available at my local computer shop and the manager says it will be available by 10th February. And if I order online, it will take almost 8-9 days also for the delivery coz Republic Day sale was going on in our country and huge pressure on delivery nowadays.

But, I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212x air cooler, so can I pair it with the CPU for the time being and when the liquid cooling arrives after 10th feb, can I just take out the air cooler and connect the CPU with the liquid cooler ?

I am just curious to know that will there be any issue if I run the 6700 K with the Air cooler for some days ?

Kindly help.

Thanks in advance. :)

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Nope, you'll be fine.. That's not a bad cooler, at all..

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah you'll be fine. Just don't do any heavy overclocking with it though until your H110i comes in..

And you're going to love the 980 Ti Amp Extreme. Recently picked one up myself after becoming sick of SLi, and it's a beast! :D

Aiden2k13

May 2, 2014
Nope, you'll be fine.. That's not a bad cooler, at all..

Alright bro :>

Yeah you'll be fine. Just don't do any heavy overclocking with it though until your H110i comes in..

And you're going to love the 980 Ti Amp Extreme. Recently picked one up myself after becoming sick of SLi, and it's a beast! :D

Okay and yeah I will be getting another 980 Ti AMP Extreme within 2 months. Kinda tight of cash now. And then another GPU upgrade will be 1080Ti ( based on series xD ) .:cool:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Okay and yeah I will be getting another 980 Ti AMP Extreme within 2 months. Kinda tight of cash now. And then another GPU upgrade will be 1080Ti ( based on series xD ) .:cool:

If you plan to SLi them, be forewarned that the card itself is extra large....and I do mean extra. It occupies 2.5 slots by itself, so only 4 way motherboards might be able to handle them in SLi as a regular motherboard will not have enough of a gap between them and the cards won't be able to breathe.. And no motherboard will be able to quad SLi unless they remove the massive shroud and heatsink and use water blocks. After using SLi for many years though, I can honestly say that it is extremely overrated and you will be better off with a single card that is guaranteed to be used to it's maximum efficiency..

Here are some pics I took showing how large it is compared to EVGA GTX 980 FTWs

AMT97a.jpg

fMcZNy.jpg

KbpsNs.jpg

And finally one in my rig:

wJZl2E.jpg

Last edited:

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
You can do moderately successful overclocking in air. My G3258, i5-4690k and i7-4790k processors are on air coolers (140mm ones I must admit) and they are anywhere from 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz and never break 70C.