new PC not sure how to connect HDMI?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
i've never had a mobo before with a hdmi out on it (getting a Z77 for IB). now, i assume that hooking up direct to the GPU that it will be business as usual, but what if i connect to the mobo only? would that only use the igpu or does the lucid software kick in and enable both gpus to be used that way (either via sharing the work between both or switching from 1 to the other like on an optimus laptop?)

sorry bout the Qs, haven't built intel since my Q6600

ps. as this is video related i assume it belongs here? could be in the mobo section though. odd one

billbobaggins87

Jan 9, 2012
why would you not want to have your only screen running off of your discrete gpu? does it not have hdmi?

and dvi holds the same signal as HDMI it just doesn't have the possibility for audio.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
dammit, didn't see the replies (ta both).

billbo - it has hdmi but i was thinking about the whole lucid shenanigans.

taltamir - ta.

not sure why you both mention dvi since i'll connect via hdmi anyway and i know hdmi is dvi + audio wrapped with HDCP.

anyway, the reason i asked was if i connect via the mobos HDMI port whether it'll (for gaming) use the igpu as well as the discrete gpu together to improve fps etc or whether it would only use the igpu in that scenario. :wub:

taltamirs post answers that but i'm not sure why? i mean isn't lucids software meant to essentially combine whatever gpus you have present when you game for a more powerful (albeit virtual) gpu?