Question new pc build, nvme help please

elkido122

Jan 10, 2015
im doing a new build for gaming that will be a 10900k, rtx3070, 32gb ram, and a 2tb sn550 western digital drive. my question is, will the sn550 be a big bottleneck to my system for gaming or any medium type task duties>? thanks

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
im doing a new build for gaming that will be a 10900k, rtx3070, 32gb ram, and a 2tb sn550 western digital drive. my question is, will the sn550 be a big bottleneck to my system for gaming or any medium type task duties>? thanks
My first inclination is to ask how the hell did you find an RTX 3070 to buy for a sane price or just to be available at any price during these times? I have a less ambitious pc-building project underway for this year, and I have to use a spare GTX-970 for a dGPU. If I could merely find an RTX 2070 -- at all -- for a sane price if the card is even available, I'd jump at the chance. But for the modest scope of my project, the 970 will do for now.

How old is the technology of the PC you're replacing? Oh -- OK -- I looked up the WD NVME 2TB of which you speak. You're concerned about it being a PCIE v.3.0 drive, then? You think that you would have almost double the throughput with a PCIE v.4.0 NVME?

Personally, I just don't think that the 2,600 MB/s sequential read spec is going to make a noticeable "bottleneck". I've been told myself that I should upgrade my gen-7 chipset and motherboard for a processor more modest than your choice, and I would have all that PCIE v.4.0 NVME wonderfulness with a Samsung 980 or something comparable if it even exists at the moment.

I'm not keeping up with the latest and greatest games. If my motherboard provided PCIE v.4.0 bandwidth, I could imagine putting the 2TB gen-3 WD NVME in there, and then replacing it later. But since the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME is $350 and the 1TB 980 Pro is $150, I can't see why you wouldn't just spring for the 1TB 980 Pro at $80 below the SN550 2TB price-point, or just spend the $100 more on the 2TB Samsung 980 Pro.

What do you need to put on this NVME drive that requires a full 2TB? How is 1TB inadequate? See -- for me -- I mix old-tech with new tech. I have a 1TB NVME drive, with an SATA SSD with two HDD spinners which cache to a 256 GB NVME drive. IF I'm limited by my chipset and processor generation, I don't feel it. You aren't under the constraints with which I comfortably live with my PC. But don't you have a collection of files -- media and so forth -- that can be put on slower media without in any way being limited by the slower media? So why have a 2TB boot drive to store those files as well as the OS and programs? Or, if you're going to do that, why not anticipate the future and spend the extra Franklin on the 2TB 980 Pro?

I don't see a need for myself to have an NVME with 7,000 MB/s throughput right now, but my needs aren't the same as those of others. Despite my perceptions of needs, I still think I've laid out a set of reasonable options for you, or what might make one option palatable, or another option better.

But we're basically talking about an extra $100 for the full 2TB drive in the NVME PCIE v.4.0 flavor and bandwidth. Is this a budget and accounting problem? Well, there's the 1TB option, saving you $80 over the PCIE v.3.0 WD NVME.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The OP does not mention the source of his concern so it is difficult to answer him. I note that the i9 10900K and chipset does not support PCIe 4. Intel does not provide ver4 until the 11900K.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I stand now "well-informed". I knew PCIE v4 was "new", but didn't think it was "that new".

The Master of TLTR says: ElFenix's answer is spot-on in an economy of words.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The OP does not mention the source of his concern so it is difficult to answer him. I note that the i9 10900K and chipset does not support PCIe 4. Intel does not provide ver4 until the 11900K.
They are always a one-and-done poster.

It's just best to give a yes or no answer like ElFenix did.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I was letting the Duck know about PCIe 4 since he put so much effort into his reply . I don't assume any answer is appropriate until the details are clear.
I was letting you (or any other poster) know more as a courtesy.

I go way back with this poster. They show up 1-2 times a year to post a question, and never respond back even when people take time to give a detailed answer. BanzaiDuck always provides detailed answers, so I don't think he minds if they never come back to the thread. :p

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I like to think our focus is help those who reply as well as OPs. I think it's as helpful to address replys with further info especially if as here there is a lot of effort involved and no one else has bothered to correct some parts of it. The Duck proves my point as he seems to appreciate the update on the PCIe channels.A No is funny but doesn't help the Duck .

Feb 4, 2009

Not at all, should work fine for now and fine for the foreseeable future.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah, UsAndThem, I'm a real chatterbox and getting worse. At least the mentions to me here aren't negative. I don't mind it . . . . it's amusing.

This issue about being on the cusp of doubling NVME speed with latest tech was of some interest to me. I'm building a system this year with a four-year-old motherboard and processor -- PCIE 3.0. I was wondering what a Samsung 980 Pro would do for me. I picked up a couple 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME's in the end; they're of the PCIE v.3.0 variety. I think they might be a bargain, and they supposedly run cool. Still trying to decide whether to put sinks on 'em.

Also, here's a minor curiosity in the category of market phenomena.

Whenever I shop for storage products and specifically for SSDs of any variety, I find someone offering last year's model and spec in its original price range, when the newer, faster, improved models for the current year are priced at half as much. One might try, for instance, comparing equally-sized Samsung 970 and 980 Pro drives. I think I really observed this. If I'm mistaken, someone could point it out.

But you'd think the offer price on an old model would drop to the price level set by the equivalent latest model.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, UsAndThem, I'm a real chatterbox and getting worse. At least the mentions to me here aren't negative. I don't mind it . . . . it's amusing.
I was just giving a good-natured quip. I didn't mean anything negative about your posting style.

Your posts are perfectly fine. You just aren't a man of few words, and that's A-OK. :p

My main point was users who only post a question here, and never return to the thread to add any details at all, or at least give a like or a thanks to those who took the time to answer it for them. Those who do that all the time really grind my gears. ;)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I suppose, if some interloper comes here to post a question and then disappears, there are others who might take some interest in the topic, so all is not lost. As for me, I can be sitting here doing a million things and I can fit in time for some Anandtech clicks. The worst of it was the three days I couldn't type after I got my second Moderna shot, because all of the sinews and bones in my body felt like they had been crushed or dropped off a four-story building. There are a lot of sinews and bones in hands, wrists and fingers . . .