New owners!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Toms is literally one of the worst tech forums I've ever been to in terms of people not actually carig about the answers. People come in, ask a question, and then reject any advise given to them. The DC community is nice, and some of the oldies are reasonable, but I honestly hope we don't get most of their userbase.
The bolded portion makes me at least somewhat hopeful. For the rest I tend to agree with the rest of the quote.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
Hopefully little impact to quality, but maybe new faces to join the team. I don't think we would have to give up the team anandtech group and join another but not sure?

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
The eternal pessimist in me knows that new ownership always means change. Especially when the founder and name-sake has already left the company. May be sooner, may be later, but change will come. May or may not effect us, but don't be surprised at anything.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
There is a "suggestion box" thread going and several posters have merging or eliminating sub-forums. One suggested eliminating DC and another suggested merging DC with highly technical forum. I just posted in that thread voting to keep the DC forum intact and tried to explain what we do, etc.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is a "suggestion box" thread going and several posters have merging or eliminating sub-forums. One suggested eliminating DC and another suggested merging DC with highly technical forum. I just posted in that thread voting to keep the DC forum intact and tried to explain what we do, etc.

I hope that the DC forum is left alone.
I think that there are enough influential people in here that things will be left as is.
This area has been a mainstay in AnandTech and has given back an incredible amount of support to the community and AnandTech in general.
This is what has helped buld AnandTech to what it is today.
It would be sad to see too drastic of change, I'd hate to have to move on after close to 20 years here.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
I hope that the DC forum is left alone.
I think that there are enough influential people in here that things will be left as is.
This area has been a mainstay in AnandTech and has given back an incredible amount of support to the community and AnandTech in general.
This is what has helped buld AnandTech to what it is today.
It would be sad to see too drastic of change, I'd hate to have to move on after close to 20 years here.

Same here, don't care to come on and deal with people in a flame war over CPUs because our sub-forum was consolidated with others into one. A lot of the guys in that suggestions forum probably rarely come by. I've seen some mention DC was a complete waste of time here while back. One commented if there aren't at least five new topics a day they should be done away with. There's not a lot going on to warrant that much activity here really. But we need a place a staging area for races, and general communication about projects, troubleshooting, upgrades, etc.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
merging DC with highly technical forum
DC is highly technical? Wow, do most people not have a clue what we do?

Maybe a stats thread (or some of our other threads - race threads?) should be in OT or somewhere else, it would give the TeAm more exposure. Probably better than the couple of times, a decade ago, it was mentioned on the main site.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I seriously hope they don't bury our forum into another section! :(, I don't know why they would even think about it as it's not really related to anything else, it's fine where it is!

Btw anyone know why Anand left AT?
I read their reasons as to why they wanted a bigger Co backing them (why does every firm, it seems, incessantly want to expand??), but that doesn't explain why Anand left.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Oh! Interesting!

Btw I see Ryan's in charge now! Nice 1 for him!
As I recall he's always been a supporter of DC ;), so I'd be surprised if DC was merged.

Last edited:

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
The suggestion to do away with or merge our sub forum is a terrible idea IMO. It looks like perk agrees, so let's not lose any sleep over this one. He's got our backs.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37016761&postcount=221
Indeed. No one has any plans to do away with the DC forum. Admittedly it's not a forum that gets a lot of traffic, but you guys are well behaved and don't require any real moderation work, which makes it a very low impact forum.:)

Jay

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Indeed. No one has any plans to do away with the DC forum. Admittedly it's not a forum that gets a lot of traffic, but you guys are well behaved and don't require any real moderation work, which makes it a very low impact forum.:)

I agree with Ryan, though I am no longer a DC contributor, I always found this sub-forum to be one filled with honest, helpful individuals. I'll add my .02 to keep this sub-forum pure as possible.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hey good to hear from the new boss, congrats on the new job btw :)
(you've got PM btw)