New Orleans Residents . .

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
OK - got to move to the Crecent City area, job transfer.
Never in a million years would I have imagined that we would be going there.
Sat and watched on TV as N'Awlin's tried to become Atlantis, and saw the flooding and looting.
Obviously don't want to live in an area that became the bottom of an aquarium, and can't do the 'Projects'.

Any recommendations?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
A lot of people that work in NOLA live on the north bank. Slidell, Mandeville, Hammond, etc. Slidell is very popular. I wouldn't live in New Orleans.

<---Used to live in Slidell.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
North Shore area is nice. Metarie and Kenner are nice.

<--Currently in Covington

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper0329
North Shore area is nice. Metarie and Kenner are nice.

<--Currently in Covington

I agree on all counts.

Watch out for local taxes though. These places know that the higher income NOLA workers want to live in quieter areas and that they have money. I think sales tax in St. Tammany Parish is 8.95%. Don't quote me on that.

If you want to get into much cheaper housing, you can live in Mississippi, but the commute wil be longer. Picayune, MS is fairly inexpensive, but it's a small town. You'd have to add about 16 miles to your commute vs living in Slidell.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
My parents lost 2 houses in Lakeview, they bought a place in Covington. It's nice, but too suburban for my taste. Commute is better than when they were renting in Baton Rouge though! When I move back in the next couple years, I'm shooting for Mid City by City Park. Comparatively little flooding compared to surrounding areas, relatively safe, centrally located.

Much of Metairie and Kenner are your basic suburbs/McMansion type areas. There are some similar neighborhoods on the West Bank. Uptown is expensive and you could be adjacent to a really bad neighborhood without even realizing it.

Hey -- want to buy a lot (or 2) in Lakeview? :D

tigerbait

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Where is your job located?

I live in Metairie. It's nice. Traffic is average, takes me about 15 minutes to get downtown in the mornings.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: tigerbait
Where is your job located?

I live in Metairie. It's nice. Traffic is average, takes me about 15 minutes to get downtown in the mornings.

Michoud - NASA Facility.
Inbound from Slidell when I came back from an interview at Stennis NASA in Mississippi took 90 minutes just to cross the bridge.

Snooping around parts of the Garden District - looks like it has it's pluses as well as it's minuses, hit and miss
duck and cover, shoot and ask questions, cut and run.
Hell, I don't know.
Flying there on Monday to wander aimlessly - and try to figure out what to do . . with little time.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
The shortest commute decent place would be Slidell. That's where I live. There's not much to do here though.

Housing prices in the whole area quite inflated since Katrina.

My favorite areas are Covington/Mandeville on the Northshore. My brother lives Uptown and likes that. My parents live in Kenner and it's ok.

What's going on at Michoud?